Help with changing thermostat on 2.0t

A3Craig

Reaction score
Am half way through doing it and am stuck, i have taken off the altenator belt and the altenator, moved the charcoal cannister out the way and drained the coolant, have got the hose off on the top and bottom of the thermostat but cant get the rigid pipe out which is located half way up the thermostat housing, have taken out the screw holding it in and have got it out a bit but cant seem to get it out far enough as it seems to hit another pipe

Advice please would be great
thanks Craig

Hi,

This is my first post on here,

There are two Torx screws you need to remove on the front pipes that run under the inlet manifold. You have removed the outer Torx by the sounds of it. Lift that pipe and you should see another almost directly behind the first, on another metal plate. The loom for the alternator is ty wrapped to the pipe also and hides the Torx screw slightly. This is the Torx for the solid pipe that enters the thermostat, I would suggest once you have removed this pipe far enough out to remove the thermostat you replace the o ring on this pipe also. Hope that helps.

Cheers Tez

Thanks for response, I've managed to get the old one out but not the new one in yet so will check to make sure I have both the screws holding the rigid pipe, I know I have taken 1 out but not sure if I have taken a second one out

No probs. there are two rigid pipes each has it's own Torx. The one you have removed sounds like the rigid with the rubber hose on end which fits to top connection on thermostat housing. The second Torx holds the middle pipe which is fully rigid and enters thermostat housing in the middle this will require new o ring refitted mine completely and this pipe leaked past old o ring.

Yeah, the other bolts holding the hard pipe are a right cockend of an idea. Mucho swearing/muttering at VAG group when I did mine lol