Word of Warning - Raceland, Rokkor, JOM, TA Technix, Tuning Art Coilovers etc

jlawie

Reaction score
Raceland, Rokkor, Ta Technix, JOM - “Go low for cheap”, or not as it would prove with my Audi A3 8P

I purchased a set of Raceland coilovers off eBay after being pretty happy with my previous ones on the Focus. Bit confused when Rokkors arrived, but not to worry as they are identical (Raceland, Rokkor, JOM etc are identical other than the colours). eBay listings state 120mm drop, so for me that would be plenty (running 215 35 18s) as really only looking for 80mm. Anyway, once fitted, the drop was more like 75mm if that! Easily get my hand in the arch gap.

Emailed the seller who was certain I had fitted them wrong. Few emails with pictures soon disproved that. Eitherway….there wasn’t another 50mm there!

Rokkors stripped off and supplier replaced with TA Technix coilovers. This time stating 100mm adjustment. Another morning wasted! Exactly the same drop levels. However now with more problems!

TA Technix had tried to replicate a design along the lines of BC coilovers etc, whereby the strut has travel adjustment as well as the spring. Initially all looked good, but the design is massively flawed and potentially lethal! BC coilovers as design as such that the drop link connection is on the lower strut, thus fixed to the hub knuckle securely. TA Technix design fixes the drop link to the upper assembly. Even with the adjusters locked tightly in place, the drop link is constantly pushing and turning the strut loose. Other than welding the upper and lower parts together, this is never going to work! No way in hell I’d be running those! The forces pushing against the drop links (even with my shorter ones) is far too much to hold them tight.

IMAG0983Small_zps94db774d.jpg

Just wanted to make people aware of these 2 issues before they get sucked in by these claims. Both the UK supplier and European distributor are refusing to change their eBay listings regarding drop levels. And refusing me a refund despite obviously being sold an item that doesn’t do what it states!