Downpipes?

JPK

Reaction score
Is there really much point in spending moonbeams on APR, Milltek etc?

I can get away with a decatted DP where I am, so is there any reason a well made 120 quid DP won't give a good result?

I'm all for brand name engine management, essential engine components and suspension etc but I'm failing to see why a bit of steel needs to cost a fortune. Especially on an 8P2 A3.

Size, flow rate, grade of steel, quality of the flexipipe, quality of the welds etc..

Plenty of second hand DP's for sale online eg ebay or the forums. Personally, I went for a new Milltek DP mainly due to previous milltek experience, peace of mind and knowing I was getting a tried and tested product which garunteed gains for my car.

I'm in the same position.

Got the 100 cell Milltek, keeps cracking at the welds.

£120 downpipe would be very affordable! who would make that for you?

Difference being when Quattro is in the way they charge at least double the cost of a non quattro for it :(

There's nothing wrong with cheaper downpipes if you trust the hand that made them.

I'm not sure I'd buy one off eBay seeing as I can't see the workmanship, but both my A3 and S3 have had pipes made up by a local shop for roughly the equivalent of 100 pounds (in SA Rand value) and each was superbly crafted with top grade stainless steel.

Everybody I ask to 'make' one promptly asks for 1 million pounds.

If only South Africa was a wee bit closer!

Milltek DPs are known to crack around the flange welds, and mine came with a broken bracket too. Benefits are there to be had for sure though, no reason a custom pipe won't do the job if the guy making it knows what he's doing.

I got mine from a company in Derbyshire, they did a DPF delete for me and I've been running it for nearly 2 years now. Never had a problem with it.

Got the 100 cell Milltek, keeps cracking at the welds.

Yeah, I think they've suffered from too big too soon syndrome, farmed out builds & metal quality has suffered maybe, they used to be bulletproof & then started to hear this happening a fair bit, but I have to admit, the CS received by Wesley, iirc was extremely impressive, but you'd like the issues not to exist when you hear its a milltek product tbh.

Everybody I ask to 'make' one promptly asks for 1 million pounds.

If only South Africa was a wee bit closer!
Pity they are so ****** big or I could make a tidy profit having them made up and shipped out to Europe ;)

My S3's pipe mid build:
SAM_0679a_zps9e0e2a36.jpg

Last edited:
that downpipe looks really great.

Difference being when Quattro is in the way they charge at least double the cost of a non quattro for it :(

I am thought the quattro bit doesnt make a difference,i am sure people have bought edition30 down pipes and they have fitted with no issues,its like the dealers with the price of the S3 disks or you can get the same disk for an R32 for quite a bit cheaper even though there the same