AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Question DSG and Longlife Servicing Questions

Hey Folks - well bought my A3 just under a year ago and it was on 28k, the selling dealer serviced the car and it is on the Longlife regime, the book has two longlife stamps in the book, the car is now on 40k and is currently at Poole Audi getting the DSG Oil changed, they were great BTW, price matched the local independent at £175 inc VAT and gave me a lovely A5 Cabrio as a courtesy car.

Whilst there they have also taken care of a couple of warranty issues that I have had but also mentioned that the Engine Oil could do with topping up and wanted to charge me £20 for the privilege, I know the 5w30 Edge oil can be had for £10 a Litre so will just take care of that myself.

I suppose my main question is when will I need the next service i.e engine oil change etc? I'm really not sure on the longlife regime and it's merits so may change the car over to fixed interval, however I kind of begrudge paying £150 for an Oil and Filter change that I could do myself for around £50!

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Regardless which oil I use, it's changed anyway @ circa 6k miles.
    Been using this stuff for 6 years..

PRO5L - Prolife 5w-30 5 Litres

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Regardless which oil I use, it's changed anyway @ circa 6k miles.
    Been using this stuff for 6 years..

PRO5L - Prolife 5w-30 5 Litres
    Well I have done 12k since the last change and although I was told the car can do up to 20k on the longlife oil I am nervous!

But how much do I want to retain that FASH?!

1st Gear

Status
    Any further input gents?

Short Back

Status
    Hi mate,

If you're capable, why not change it yourself mid-term! Then let Audi do the honours again at their recommended interval. You don't have to tell them you've done an extra change & you'll keep your FASH.

I'm 9 months into ownership of a car that had 27,000 miles when I bought it, it now has 34,000 miles and I got 2 years free servicing also! I have similar concerns about the Longlife servicing plan, but the blurb that came with the warranty says 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first), I'll push for an oil change when a year rolls around & switch to yearly changes after that, but if they refuse, I'll do it myself for peace of mind.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

2nd Gear

Status
    I did exactly the same as Artemus suggests. I followed the official longlife service regime and let Audi change it every 18000 miles or 21 months or so and I changed the oil & filter myself (with full VW longlife spec oil) halfway inbetween.

That way I got a full Audi sservice history and also ensured the best lubrication for the engine. (I kept the intermediate receipts in case anyone asked when I sold it, but I ended up trading it in anyway, so the dealer just wanted to see the service book...)
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Hi mate,

If you're capable, why not change it yourself mid-term! Then let Audi do the honours again at their recommended interval. You don't have to tell them you've done an extra change & you'll keep your FASH.

I'm 9 months into ownership of a car that had 27,000 miles when I bought it, it now has 34,000 miles and I got 2 years free servicing also! I have similar concerns about the Longlife servicing plan, but the blurb that came with the warranty says 1 year or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first), I'll push for an oil change when a year rolls around & switch to yearly changes after that, but if they refuse, I'll do it myself for peace of mind.
    That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Just picked the car back up from the stealers, bought a oil filter (£6) sump plug (£1) and a fuel filter (£2X), then got myself 5 litres of Edge Professional 5w-30 for £45, bargain! I will drop the oil tomorrow but after checking my service history the fuel filter was done at 28,000 so I will just hang on to that and change at 48,000.

Got back in the A3 after driving the A5 and it felt really old and clunky