For all you potential new GTI buyers

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A note for all you potential new GTI drivers...

In this weeks Auto Express (No877) there is a First Drive test of the new Golf R32 - 3.2 litre V6, 247 bhp - four wheel drive.

There 1st opinion ends " Until we drove the R32, we were confident the GTI was as good as the Golf could get. Now we're not so sure...."

Mind you, at £23,745, the flagship three-door R32 costs £3,250 more than it's GTI stablemate, with the five-door version priced at £24,245.

I'd say the R32 is good value against the GTi - unless you pay for your own fuel.

And the grille on the GTi is awful!

I wouldn't have thought an extra 47bhp was enough to justify the hideous MPG,but you'll always get people who prefer naturally aspirated motors or the noise I suppose.

The Co2 figures for the 3.2 are horrendous,which makes the car a non-starter for company car buyers.

I'm almost there with the Milltek cat-back and carbon-fiber airbox: I agree Eeef, an uncorked VR6 is a truly wonderful sounding machine!

I can't wait to see what differences there are between a MKV R32 and the A3 3.2, as I am thinking there should be very few.

Performance difference is minimal, running costs are massive! I don't think it's a bargain at £23,745, but it's not a rip off either IMO.

Plus points... all the good bits of the A3 (engine noise, quattro etc) and all the good points of the golf (handling, poise etc) in one car...wow!

Bad points... it'll be a beast to run, isn't that imposing over a GTI with 18"s and not that much quicker.

So swings and roundabouts really. If i fancied another V & 4WD then an R32 would be spot on!
But i fancy a Turbo and lower running costs, so I'm more than happy with my order!

Personally the R32 is well over priced, with the cost of the new recaro leather seats at £2300 odd, this car will easily be pushing £27-30K for a decent spec.

And as for the running costs.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And for the looks, well i just don't quite know.

12.jpg

On'y time will tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why are VAG persevering with this engine when it's shelf life must be severely limited ?
I can see why the yanks would like it,but even they're beginning to come round to more economical engines.
Rita has told them to !

Since my A3 order went wrong i have one of these on order and can't wait for delivery around January. Don't forget the price for the rally style Recaros includes leather and is about £600.00 more than if you added leather to the standard Recaro seats.

4wd, 5 doors, DSG, V6......what more could you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

some people want performance and aren't too bothered about economy. plus all the usual V6 and NA benefits

you never get used to the tingle down your spine from the 3.2 V6 noise, the endless power through all the revs and the noise... some parts of the driving experience can't be quantified in performance terms... oh, and did I meantion the sounds of the V6?

[ QUOTE ]
you never get used to the tingle down your spine from the 3.2 V6 noise, the endless power through all the revs and the noise... some parts of the driving experience can't be quantified in performance terms... oh, and did I meantion the sounds of the V6?

[/ QUOTE ]

So very true. There are more economical engines to run, there are lighter and more poxerful ones too. But the VR6 has a distinctive personality to it. Very unique. Hugely enthralling.

Furthermore, this engine has been in production for more than ten years now. It is a tried and tested powerplant.

Its replacement, the 3.6VR6 is ready to go: 10.6°V intead of 15°V, FSI, circa 280bhp. VR is not dead!

Jesus Ben - what a spec. I hope you managed to get to the ring eventually this year...

[ QUOTE ]
Friend of mine has an older R32 with FULL Miltek on it.....

what a noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a R32 with a full miltek on it til Feb this year...

I am seriously considering this as a replacement for my APR'd S3. With all the toys I want, it comes in at about 31k. A similar A3 would be an additional 3.5k...

Dan