People running H&R springs on their S3s

Morells

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just wanted to know what they are like to live with everyday as I have had some good and bad experiences with springs in the past and defiantly don't want to ruin the handling of my car I.e. make it bouncy. So if anyone can shed some light on how the ride is with the H&R springs fitted that would be great.

Got KW on mine, more or less the same thing anyway, 20 / 25mm drop I think and am more than happy with them. Sure plenty of people on here run H & R

Positive effect on handling, although not too easy to tell as I had front / rear ARB done at the same time, not bothered by speed bumps etc, just take things a bit more careful

I run the H&R's and have been very happy with them. Handling is slightly approved and the ride is very similar to stock. If you were closer i'd take you for a spin so you could see what they're like.

I've got the H&R Cup Kit (springs and dampers) - defo firmer than stock but not uncomfortably so, and the improvements in stance and handling defo outweigh the increase in firmness.

I've been using H&R springs for around 6months now, ive always used coilovers in the past but i thought id give these a go first as they drop the S3 to a really nice and useable height IMO for an everyday drive.
As people have said above the handling is improved, the car sits well, and the ride hardly feels any different to OEM. Cant go wrong for the money :icon_thumright:

thanks guys the only reason i ask is because i had a polo 9n3 gti on H&R springs and it made it soo bouncy and crashy that i got so annoyed with it i put it back to standard. i want to drop the car because of the horrible arch gap but dont want to ruin the ride. So i am in 3 mind sets now

1) buy the eibach springs for just the front
2) buy the H&R springs
or 3) Buy the H&R cup kit but again i have heard that its bouncy

:banghead:

I genuinely found that the H&R springs I had on my S3 where as comfortable as stock. Brodster drove mine as well when I went up to Scotland and he commented it felt the same as his S3 at the time which was stock.

I replaced the 2 front springs with the Eibach option and I`m well happy with it, the car sits the way it should now and the ride is OEM.

There is a picture of mine in the photo section if you are interested in how it sits.

Hey everyone I just wanted to know what they are like to live with everyday as I have had some good and bad experiences with springs in the past and defiantly don't want to ruin the handling of my car I.e. make it bouncy. So if anyone can shed some light on how the ride is with the H&R springs fitted that would be great.

I ran H&R springs on my 07 S3 for a year and was happy as it was the perfect height and only slightly stiffer!
but when my route to work changed to a bumpier road (A road) it started to become bouncy at speed.
I managed to get a good deal on AP coilovers and I wish I had done this in the first place! They are perfect.
i have it set at the same height as the H&R's were and it soaks up the A roads much better.
how the car should have been in my opinion.

i hope this helps?

Only negative I found was some `bounciness` on some A roads.

Other than that I found them very good.
Ride height was spot on, not at all harsh and, body roll greatly reduced, felt sharper on turn in too.

how bouncy was it? I.e. very or not much more than standard?

It wasn't uncomfortable or anything, but over short bumps at speed (or uneven roads) it was all over the place. I thought it was because the springs kept the dampers permanently in slight compression, but apparently it's the dampers that are over-powered and the springs have trouble keeping up on rebound.

The wheels/tyres probably didn't help, and the roll-bars would have made it more of an issue by bouncing an axle at a time more than just one wheel (though only very slightly).

I've put Spax 40mm springs on my B.E! I'd recommend them to anyone, Couldn't really tell the difference between the original springs on comfort but sits spot on for me, seems to be a bit lower on the front than the back which I like! P.S sorry to butt in :shrug:

thanks guys the only reason i ask is because i had a polo 9n3 gti on H&R springs and it made it soo bouncy and crashy that i got so annoyed with it i put it back to standard. i want to drop the car because of the horrible arch gap but dont want to ruin the ride. So i am in 3 mind sets now

1) buy the eibach springs for just the front
2) buy the H&R springs
or 3) Buy the H&R cup kit but again i have heard that its bouncy

:banghead:

your planning on pairing lowering springs with appropriate shock absorbers right? If you just wack stiffer springs onto staadard shocks then you will get a bouncy ride because they will not damp the elastic energy in the spring correctly meaning you will get more oscillations untill the energy is properly damped....by which time you will have hit another bump in the road