Why does my S3 have a bin in the boot full of water? Boot water leaked SOLVED

mmalh0151

Reaction score
Hi, from previous threads I have had a huge problem with water in my boot.

Checking pipes and washer jet fixings did not suffice any hard evidence.

So today I decided to remove the black metal cover from the the boot as pictured on the right of the boot
2vkyxw5.jpg

se2hpz.jpg

Heres what we found
6xq8zo.jpg

25a3sjm.jpg

Now nothing was connected to this box of water so how has it got there, what's it for, and I have now sealed it with silicone for future no leaking!

I am intrigued to know what it is!!

On the A3 3.2, there wasnt enough room for the engine and battery up front,

So they moved it to the back - its a battery box.

As for water getting in there, could be a difficult one to find, but i'd suggest setting up a sprinkler system and stick the seats down and watch for leaks.

Looks like a handy compartment for storing tools etc. Need to check mine. Do all 8Ps have this or is it just later models. I have a 2006 2.0 TDI

That's where the WMI system on mine is installed.

Very useful!

Perhaps deceptive in pics, but the compartment does not look large enough nor right shape for a battery to fit in there.
Essentially the same quattro set up, why is it the battery in my 2009 non S3 Quattro, is mounted in the engine bay?

The seal isn't very good between the boot floor and the box so they let water in, mine was doing the same thing cleaned it up and hoping it won't need silicone but i'll see.

Perhaps deceptive in pics, but the compartment does not look large enough nor right shape for a battery to fit in there.
Essentially the same quattro set up, why is it the battery in my 2009 non S3 Quattro, is mounted in the engine bay?

It's big enough for a battery. Read the thread only the 3.2 and RS3 have the batteries mounted there.

My 8p s line sportback I have noticed has a leak in the boot! Noticed the other day, haven't had time to look properly yet but the spare wheel bay was quite full with water. Seems to be some kind of leak on the left hand side as that's the only area that's wet.

Any idea's on area's to look at?

You need to check for water in the headlinings and surrounding areas mate. Then we can advise! Do your water jets work?

Washer works fine. Take it to Audi they will rinse me. Im gonna have a proper look on my week off soon. Needs sorting

Do you have the box the same as mine as pictured then? The battery box? Can you hear water sloshing when driving? Put the seats down and take everything out boot till its bare metal and switch your stereo off and listen for water noise

Well that is what made me look hearing water splashing about in the boot, thought I was hearing things until I had a proper look. I'm not sure on layout as haven't properly looked.

Same problem as me!!

The car will not leak if standing. The water only comes out when you go fast on corners etc and the water then gets through the cover.

if you need any advice whilst looking at the car I am happy to help on the phone etc.

drove me mad but mine is now resolved

Hmmm ok.... You can stick your head under the car and you will see one as well. For future reference, theres a small screw under the box that you need to remove to remove the battery box properly to clean and dry it

Now it's just a case of finding where the leak is coming from. But I may need give you a bell if I struggle finding a solution.