JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Question Audi A3 2005 2.0 TDI 140 Sport , Shaking on idle also slight knocking worse on a hill

Hey all

Ok so my a3 fires up fine , and drives fine engine sounds mint , but the engine seems to shake pritty bad when its idling.

It shakes the whole car it usually drones in and out like little half a second jolts every 3-4 seconds ?

Also its a lot worse when waiting on a hill say at traffic lights ?

The clutch doesnt feel horrible it feels nice and smooth.

Im hoping its not the DMF as that sounds like an expensive job!

The clutch isnt slipping , it goes into gears fine pulls perfectly

If you put the revs above 1000 RPM it goes away completely.

My first suspect was an engine mount but surely it would be constant if that was the case ? i dont think the engine is missing?

I had the cambelt done around a week ago i mentioned it to him and he said dont worry itll be your flywheel they just do that?

But i dont want to chance it and it ruin anything else ??

Any questiosn ill answer best i can , milage is 100k , thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Fossie

Status
    Injector wiring loom has been known to cause that problem.

You need a VCDS scan to check it out ( find local to you member in VCDS user map section ) and also check tick over speed.

Reducing speed can remove problem as well !

Sportback owner

Status
    Ask a forum member to do a VCDS scan, to see if there is anything showing up as a fault. Also, look at the tick-over rpm, and if too low, set it slightly higher (also using VCDS). That may improve things a bit. If you press down hard on the clutch, does it change the knocking at all? This could possibly indicate a DMF issue. Good luck.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

6th Gear

Status
    could it be a fueling issue? perhaps misfiring on a cylinder at idle? not clued up on diesels Scan it
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Neutral

Status
    Hey thanks for the quick response sometimes it's worse than others , putting the clutch down seems to make no difference also it ticks over at 900 rmp ? Thanks

Neutral

Status
    OK , so once the car gets a bit warmer the noise seems to get worse , im unsure if the juddering is linked to the sound in the engine ? but i have uploaded this video , listen carefully and you can hear it quite well , tell me what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKWMCsoj7H8

thanks in advance

Neutral

Status
    An off the wall suggestion but have you checked your engine mounts?

Neutral

Status
    Hey Jimmo ,

if it was the engine mounts wouldn't the sound be constant rather than on and off ?

But ill have a look tomorrow thanks!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom29 View Post
    Hey Jimmo ,

if it was the engine mounts wouldn't the sound be constant rather than on and off ?

But ill have a look tomorrow thanks!
    Well, I confess it's a guess - the YouTube vid had a distinctive metallic clatter but it's hard to tell whether that sounded internal or external to the engine block. It may or may not be constant depending on the resonant frequency of the vibration. I had a car that had a lumpy rattle like that back in the 80's and that was a corroded engine mount but honestly, I could just be blowing smoke. Maybe rest a hand on the top of it and see if the rhythm of the block vibration changes with the sound? As you say, it sounds like it's idling and running okay, so I would have guessed that a misfiring problem would have been noticeable, especially as you put it under load while pulling away.

I'm sure that folks here far, far more competent than me can give better advice, though!

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    The juddering is probably the engine mounts, had the same thing on mine

also get the car scanned to see if there are any faults related to injectors or glow plugs
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Coilpacks ?? Mine had same problem last few weeks misfiring bad was one down on it replaced yesterday runs as good as new now

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the input guys going to have a look at the engine mounts a bit later on

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2012 View Post
    Coilpacks ?? Mine had same problem last few weeks misfiring bad was one down on it replaced yesterday runs as good as new now
    Jay, coil packs are on petrol engines only, not diesels !

Reverse Gear

Status
    mines exactly the same, sounds identical to yours from your vid clip, have you any idea what it is yet?

Neutral

Status
    Hi smithy , no ive not found out what it is, im putting it down to the flywheel as i asked around and they said they do that but unless it changes when you put your foot on the clutch theres nothing to worry about.

My clutch isnt slipping or being funny in the slightest feels nice just judders on idle it goes through bad patches and worst patches ive just learnt to deal with it.

Ive done around 5k miles since i made this post and its not got any better or any worse .

1st Gear

Status
    I have exactly the same noise and problem. When I fully press the clutch down it smooths out and goes away. I'm having my clutch and flywheel replaced on Thursday cause I'm so fed up of it and the vibration through the clutch pedal. It makes small journeys around town where your on the clutch a lot feel really rough and harsh. I have scanned it on vcds and I do have a fault with a glow plug so I'm worried now that's its not DMF but surely pressing the clutch wouldn't not stop the rattle if it was a glow plug error? Anyway I'll let you know how I get on after the works been done.

Stop me

Status
    I'm having the same problem, coincidentally we have both just had our cambelts changed?? See my thread here: Issues since cambelt change can't be the flywheel though as it was only changed 6 months ago. Was this knocking happening to your before the cambelt change? If not, it must be something they've fiddled with during the process, like engine mounts as a few people have already suggested.Let me know how you get on please

6th Gear

Status
    timing not correctly set id say . get timing reset easy job to do. idle should be set to any where from 800 - 860 rpm. check fuel fuel filter . but if it only just started after cam bely change then take it back
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

1st Gear

Status
    Well I've had my clutch and flywheel replaced and the noise and vibration have stopped. The car feels smoother through the revs and a lot nicer to drive. I'm really pleased. Good luck with your vibrations

Neutral

Status
    Stol how much did it cost you ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom29 View Post
    Stol how much did it cost you ?
    Mine also does exactly what you describe but just kind of got used to it.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I got slowly enough of mine and thinking of selling it. Would like to get it sorted.