Spot of mayonnaise under the oil cap...

G

_G_

She's a thirsty girl, 2.0 TFSI 8p2 S-Tronic. Was topping up 1 quart of oil after 800 miles and noticed some white gunk under the oil cap rim...

Half of it was covered at least but it was not too thick...

Is this a head gasket job? How much would that cost? I think it is pre-warning signs anyway. The car runs fine. Does not over heat. Idles fine etc. I have been driving about 50 motorway miles a day (5 days a week) and need it for work!!

No visible leaks on any coolant hoses.

Any advice as to what it may be, if its a common problem and the damage to the wallet?

Many Thanks!

Depends on how much 'mayo' there is, and also the temperatures of both ambient & engine...

Could quite simply be condensation

Is it on the dipstick? If it is will probably be head gasket, if not will probably be condensation, however 50 motorway miles should clear it.

Normal for this time of year with these engines. A good hard run (non motorway as the engine isn't working hard then) in the country will clear it.

cheers lads
none on the dipstick and oil looks fine on the dip stick too i.e. not watery
I cleaned it off... took it for a country road run and its all good so far.

No coolant loss so hope it stays good.

Not that I'm an oil officianado or anything, but I wonder if it would help putting a different oil in, like 5w20 as that will heat up more quickly...

Not that I'm an oil officianado or anything, but I wonder if it would help putting a different oil in, like 5w20 as that will heat up more quickly...

No! Stick with what it recommended. Changing the oil weight will lead to other issues!