Heater Speed

Kaibo

Reaction score
Hi, this isn't the end of the world stuff but I would like to know if there is an issue.
Basically, I was under the impression that climate control when set to auto, controls fan speed according to ambient temps and required temps etc, well I don't have auto on but my speed increases of its on accord, I set off for work and maybe its on 2 or 3 out of 10, by the time I reach work (15 minutes) the fan is on max, am I missing the obvious just because I'm used to simply turning a knob to 1, 2 or 3?

Cheers Kai

Auto maintains the interior temperature at the set level. The fan will not blow cold air into the cabin until the engine has reached a temperature that is warm enough to blow warm air, i.e. air warmer than the cabin temperature. The fan speed is then increased as the engine becomes warmer.

If the control is not on auto the fan speed will increase to max and not slow down thereby pumping hot air in whether needed or not.

This also applies to the a/c side blowing cold air, although in this country that's not much of a problem !!

Thanks for your reply, seems a bit odd, if I don't require the car to maintain a cabin temperature then why should it feel the need to increase the fan speed, surely if I set it to x speed then it should stay at x speed? Like I said though, no hardship to turn it back down, so long as that's the norm, Thanks again

Cheers Kai

If you want it to stay at 'x' speed then flick the temperature down when you think the speed is right ! Actually, come to think of it, isn't there a + and - button ? That changes the speed doesn't it ?

I'll try tomorrow.

Either way there's nothing wrong with your system !

The speed of the fans are also related to the temp that is set on the climate units. If you leave the temp on high or low then once the car is warmed up it will go to max. Also there is another couple things you need to be aware of with the climate unit...

So let's say you pressed the auto button so all lights on the climate go off and just the auto light is lit, then you set a temp and just leave it... Your air con will be on and it will monitor the temp inside the car and adjust accordingly. Now say you just want the air blowing onto your feet so you press the button that blows the air down, the light for auto will go out but it will still monitor the temp and adjust the speed automatically. All you have done there is change the direction of the air flow not turn off the automatic function which regulates the speed. The speed is still determined by the temp you have set and he current ambient temp in the car

To manually control the speed of the fans you just need use the plus and minus buttons and that will totally stop the auto function

Mine does this... no fault codes ever found for it. Sleep well tonight!