2012 TDI 170 Remap?

westers

Reaction score
Hi All

I've searched through this forum, however I've not found any reference to anyone remapping a 170 TDI CR engine from 09/10 onwards.

Looking at the various tuning websites, and a few other forums, it appears that Audi have changed the encryption on the ecu for these later models, and it's not as easy to do the tune as the others.

Who's had a tune for the later engine cars (mine's a 2012, although I don't know if there's any difference between a '12 and an 09), and how easy was it to do?

I'm also looking for warranty friendly remaps - i.e, something that can be taken off for servicing, and put back on relatively easily.

I'm in Nottingham, and I know Shark are up the road, however I'd like to check out oppinions on the other vendors, with the emphasis on ease of deleting/remapping whenever I have a service.

I'm not looking for an out and out horsepower tune - torque and useable power is my aim, hence looking at the likes of Shark.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers Walts, and yeah, I found that as well. When I contacted Shark for a price (our engine isn't on their site at the moment, apparently they're updating it), it was £499 for the remap. However, I didn't ask if that map was compatible with the STS unit, but if it is, that's another £155 on top (although their remap price is on a par with others).

I am new to the tuning side of things, and I don't what other companies policies are for deleting/re-applying maps when it comes to servicing, however I assume there is a charge. As I've got 2 years left on the warranty, the cost of deleting/re-applying the map may well pay for the STS unit.

Thoughts anyone?

Another one for thought is if you need to remove the DPF with this tuning? From what I've looked at and read the 170 sounds like its alomost a must.

things are never easy are they?

Another one for thought is if you need to remove the DPF with this tuning? From what I've looked at and read the 170 sounds like its alomost a must.

things are never easy are they?

the dpf issue is more of a problem on the PD engines, i think they ironed out the problems on the CR's so i wouldn't worry too much. Running premium diesel or doing enough long journeys to clear it out will help tho

Nah, the DPF is fine for me - my car is for business/pleasure, so I spend most of my time on Motorways/Dual's. I had an 08 PD Golf 170 DPF before this, which spent it's time doing the same kind of journeys, and I never had a DPF issue.

Sure, DPF removal will bring more power, and a smidge more torque, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route yet ( MOT's, EU, etc, etc).

I think I need to talk to Shark, rather than just the email conversation, and see what they say about it all.

If you find anything out will you drop me a PM or reply to the thread mate, defo interested in map I can remove if needed.

hope you get sorted.

I have the revo on my 09 TDI170 with CR, DPF still there and working fine, takes it to 200bhp and 320lbft.
Power band is much smoother too.

Hi Ian,

the common rail cars use a newer generation of ECU which incorporates a handshaking system. This means that before the ECU accepts any new data, the person sending the data has to identify themselves. To get round this, the ECU has to be removed and we communicate directly with the processor rather than through the Audi communication protocols. We can "unlock" the ECU to allow flashing over OBD but the ECU still needs to be removed. It's something we do a lot of, ensuring it's done carefully and neatly.

Power wise, you will always gain more with a DPF delete, but as mentioned above these engines do not suffer as badly from DPF issues as the PD engine.

Rick