Key Fob Replacement

blodderz

Reaction score
Hello,

I stood on my keys the other day and have broken the spring mechanism in the fob so basically my key just flops around & won't lock in place. Im going to buy a blank case and key off eBay and transfer the key and internals over, is it as straight forward as that?

thanks,
Andy

Provided you CAREFULLY move the immobiliser chip ( which is glass and glued in ) as well as the circuit board then yes, it's as straightforward as that !

But be very careful !

be very very careful when takeing out the immobiliser chip i broke mine trying to pry it out

be very very careful when takeing out the immobiliser chip i broke mine trying to pry it out

That's what I emphasised in my answer.

Blodderz, bear in mind that if you do break it you could be looking at £150 - £200 to have it replaced !

That's what I emphasised in my answer.

Blodderz, bear in mind that if you do break it you could be looking at £150 - £200 to have it replaced !

Ill be extremely careful. My current keyfob is knackered, its battered to hell and like i said the key wont lock in place. Desperate for a new one.

Whats the best way to open the case?

Blodderz mate, with the greatest respect, if you have to ask what is the best way to open the key fob then I really don't think you should be attempting a delicate operation like this !

I presume you have the key fob with the chrome strip running down the right hand side and underneath? If so, then you will see a slot underneath which separates the two halves by the twist of a coin or screwdriver.

You also need to be very careful not to lose the spring which flicks the key out. The tension of this spring can be altered to make the key operate better.

Good luck !

Just thought I'd reply saying the transfer was successful. All done in 5-10mins, no broken immobiliser and everythings works perfect :)

Reactions: martinivw