'Woosh' Noise gone noisier when changing gear, (video)

nathwoz89

Reaction score
It's a 2.0L TDI, was fine earlier today and now suddenly just makes a massive woosh/owl noise when changing gears, and it the turbo noise seems to have gone at 2nd rev but sometimes the owl noise happens when you put the accelerator down.

Also when starting up now it sounds like a 'crash' after its started up for a second

How is the car running? It's just the diverter valve going off when you change gear realeasing pressure that the turbo has spooled up. It's normal to a certain extent where it has been know for a turbo to be on its way out, however from your description it's fine and the car isn't running with any dramas or fault codes.

How is the car running? It's just the diverter valve going off when you change gear realeasing pressure that the turbo has spooled up. It's normal to a certain extent where it has been know for a turbo to be on its way out, however from your description it's fine and the car isn't running with any dramas or fault codes.

Even if its gone alot noisier since last night? And when i start the car the engine suddenly seems to 'drop' after startup, hard to explain

I just took it to a local garage and he wouldnt con me i dont think, dads friend.

He asked me to rev it he checked under the bonnet and in engine and he said there was a leak, then said the turbo pipe was cracked, and needs a new one, which would cost around £100 ?

15 February 2013 04:52 | Facebook

I just took it to a local garage and he wouldnt con me i dont think, dads friend.

He asked me to rev it he checked under the bonnet and in engine and he said there was a leak, then said the turbo pipe was cracked, and needs a new one, which would cost around £100 ?

15 February 2013 04:52 | Facebook

Any feedback from what the guy said and the video?

getting instantly louder could well be a cracked pipe, or hole on exhaust near the turbo. get it smoke tested to see if its leaking but i wouldnt worry about it tbh

It was something to do with the intercooling pipe after all... strange