BKD - Possible Injector issue?

Cyrix

Reaction score
Recently i've been getting a clicking noise from the engine when the engine is cold and at idle, the noise completely goes when warmed up. The car runs well, returns good MPG (for a quattro) which has improved with a recent turbo change.

On start from cold the engine gives a puff of blue smoke that smells like unburnt deisel, doesn't require excessive cranking to start though, I scanned with VCDS a few months back and it flagged glowplug errors which I guess might account for some of the blue smoke. I ignored them at the time as it was summer and they don't really do a great deal unless it's really cold.

I'm going to have to have a look at the values of the injectors in VCDS to see whats going on but is it plausable that there is an injector fault when cold that corrects itself as the car gets up to temperature?

Any ideas on what an Injector costs, fitting should be fairly straightforward looking at the diagrams.

You should find out if there is a recall for the Injectors for your car,before paying out .

Kind of nervous to let a main dealer do the injectors, my mate had a set done on a PD170 engine (Skoda) under the recall and they basically ruined his car, it doesnt run right now and they pretty much just washed thier hands of it. This seems to be quite a common thing with the injector recall by the looks of various posts on the net. I would be happy just fitting a lower mileage old type injector, after all mine have done over 120k trouble free miles.

Good point , I have read that people seem to have more trouble after they have been replaced, suppose you can get a price for them and fit yourself if its out of warranty.

There's no injector recall on the bkd just the 2.0tdi 170

But not sure about your clicking noise but glow plugs stay on until the engine is up to 50 degrees

I'm assuming you've changed them already but there are any amount of things could be clicking maybe stick your head under the bonnet and get some one else to turn the key

My asv (anti shudder valve ) started clicking and it turns out the teeth on the internal cogs had been stripped maybe look at that too

You may want to look into replacing injector wiring loom.

I got a blue puff of smoke when starting every now and again but it doesn't bother me too much.

Why have you not done anything about the glow plugs? They do more than just give a quick blast of heat when the car first turns on when its cold. They stay on for a while and if their performance is impaired can indeed mean the engine is smokey until it warms up.

Had 2 go on my 140 Golf and having them changed made the car run far better from a cold start. Sort those first as they are cheap and easy to do. The Golf was never hard to start with 2 plugs out but did run like a dog for the first 30 seconds and improved as the car warmed up.

NHN - I did the belt, tensioner/rollers, waterpump at 80k (about 18 months ago) what are you thinking?

Chinny - Didn't really view them as a priority as the car generally runs that well, as you say though, they are only £20 or so each so shall replace them and see what occurs.

Checked the injectors with VCDS last night and they all seem to be in tolerance, all +/-0.5mg/str

As I say, with one glow plug out on the Golf you would have barely known there was an issue. With 2 out the car was rough and slightly smokey at start but fine after 30 seconds or so. The guy at the indie VAG place said he'd started 140's with no plugs functioning at all but they ran like tractors until warm. The 170 is more fussy (apparently).

If you have plugs showing as faulty, that is the place to start before you start spending proper money. The plugs will make a difference starting the car regardless of if they are the problem or not.