Stereo dies, s3 8p

user10

Reaction score
The stereo in my audi s3 (year 2008 model 8p) dies sometimes completely. I have to turn it back on. Any ideas?

The stereo in my audi s3 (year 2008 model 8p) dies sometimes completely. I have to turn it back on. Any ideas?

You mean it loses power completely and goes dark? Or just loses sound? Assuming it's not a loose connection of some kind, my only guess would be some kind of thermal shut-off, especially if the display works but it goes quiet.

Does this problem occur only after it's been on for a while, or does it happen within, say, the first 10 minutes of startup and driving?

I had this last year on my 08MY A3. As it was under warranty i took it back into Audi and they replaced a switch of some kind in the ignition and touch wood hasn't done it since :)

I have a similar problem with my stereo, it seems to switch itself off if it's been on for a long period of time (over 45mins?), it's also developed a buzzing noise.

I'm thinking of getting it replaced but not sure if anyone has suffered anything similar?

On my Symphony II+ I had an issue that it would turn itself off after an hour if you hadn't touched the controls. Was annoying on long journeys! I always assumed it was a power save feature if you'd left it on accidentally. Mentioned to Nigel (NHN) when he upgraded me to RNSE and he reckons it wasn't coded up correctly and shouldn't do that. So if its after an hour like mine was, maybe get someone to check it out with VAGCOM.

Yeap that did happen to yours, so definitely check it, also can wires.

Ignition switch.
I had the same problem in a 2008 8PS3.
Luckily mine was fixed under warranty....
Cheers
Len

Stereo is switched via can bus so not sure how the ignition switch would cause this??

Well it could cause issues, as ignition tells can to turn on radio, aswell as turn it off, so if barrel had a fault as such, then it maybe possible yes.