And the Lord said... "Let there be Quattro"

Ultra Violent

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I thought I'd put out a quick thread to rave about the joy off Quattro
I left for work this morning around 5 (yeah I know it sucks) :keule:and the weather was ok, a bit rainy.
by first break the snow was really coming down, and this carried on all day till home time at 3.
Going to the car park to pick up my motor and the snow was piled up above the front splitter, you could see it in everyones face,
thinking we're not getting home tonite, but I had my secret weapon, Quattro and winter tyres.
as everyone else was shovelling there cars out, i got to stick it in first and pulled away no problem.
it was nice to see all the Beemers and such skidding round the car park as I drove by smiling :moa:
Although I know Quattro's not for everyone, if you stay somewhere that gets snow and the likes often, which I do (JockLand)
then I can't rave enough about what a difference it makes, the winter tyres are helpful too, when the sun finally arrives, if it does
I'll be changing back to my Eagle F1's. but until then I'll be eating up the snow.

Thanks for listening to my blatant brand whoring. I'll post a few pics of the weather, note the Beemer covered in snow.
Drive Safe, Drive Quattro.

Scott.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 252
Yeah, this year instead of using my usual big Jeep for the snow, I got winter wheels and tyres for the S8... all ready to go...

Except it wasn't and the gearbox took a hissy fit... so that's in the garage...

My nephew got his car stolen at the weekend - so he has the Jeep...

I'm "stuck" with the non prepped S4 on 4mm tyres.... still no issues in the snow... eh...except in a large car park! woohooooo!!!!

:D

Sweet! :) Down here, people drive like utter tools after even a whisper of snow. One chap in the block where I live was spinning his wheels away, in the vain hope that harder acceleration would make the car move. I paused, briefly thinking about whether to give him a quick physics lesson, but saw that he'd created ice chocks around his wheels so I wandered off!

If that sounds un-neighbourly, I should point out that I single-handedly dug out & salted the car park and garage block while the lazy buggers just watched from their windows :)

First time driving in proper snow last week, was blow away how well it handled it. Even managed to overtake a few cars that were crawling along :kissmyrings:

First time driving in proper snow last week, was blow away how well it handled it. Even managed to overtake a few cars that were crawling along :kissmyrings:

Yeah, thats a good feeling! :yahoo:
Theres a guy at my work that drives a 3Ltr Beemer, like he stole it. Lol. On the way home tonite his car was skidding all over the road,
normally he's the first out the car park and drives like a lunatic, overtaking on corners etc, but he had no choice today apart from bowing to the mighty power of the Quattro, left him in my wake.. Eat my snow....EAT IT I SAY!!!!
not that I condone nutty driving but it was a nice feeling to see him in my rear view for a change.
Its a good feeling to know that your car wont let you down when you most need it..
all Hail the mighty Q.

Reactions: Zak0123
<adult, big grown up hat on>

Just remember guys, they are not fool proof and you still need to be cautious and careful when driving in winter / snowy conditions...

<back to normal>

lol

:p

There great fun in the the snow. Especially in s3 form and 367 bhp. Love my motor. :superman:

Agreed.

Its not smart and its not big, but it sure is fun. Especially when you can overtake doing 35mph. Lol.

:busted_cop:

LOL... the guy next to me today basically cut me up in his focus to get onto the road, then promptly slid at the corner into the kerb and damaged his wheel! hahahaha

I just trundled by... obviously I thought about helping... but TBH, I was laughing at him far too much... and it was cold! brrrrr

FWD car with snow tyres will out perform a quattro on standard summer tyres.

Quattro + snow tyres.. AWESOME !!!:thumbsup:

Tbf, I'm really impressed with how my FWD has coped. Admittedly I had a skyline before. But still, my 2.0tdi has been unstoppable in places with fresh snow 4+ inches (giggity) deep .

Reactions: Zak0123
As I said, Quattro's definetly not the be all and end all, my A4 was fine in the snow, but the quattro does give a little bit more confidence.
Obviously good driving and the likes also make a difference.
Just thought I'd big up the 4wd, coz thats what I'm pimpin' at the mo.
lets all look forward to the summer :yahoo:

Remember kids - Quattro or not it makes no difference when you want to slow down.

If its one or the other for snow, you'd be better of with winter tyres, but the combination of the two is what you really want.

sorry, I don't agree with this "winter tyre" BS...

for 17 years I've managed to drive in all conditions with just "tyres" this whole summer/winter thing is very new, and not accurate... all tyres on sale must be able to work in all seasons.... I get a set of tyres, they need to work all year round.. very simple, and as I say, always the way I've had them...

this year however, I decided to try dedicated winter wheels and tyres for the S8 as I'm doing lots of trips down to Engleeerland.... waste of time...

I have more faith and trust in my S4 with worn super sports than I do with my S8 with new winter tyres...

I've found, less grip, less traction and a poorer ride with the winter tyres on... worst money I've spent on my car to date...maybe I've just got too much power for the size/width of the tyres, but they are to audi spec, so I would have thought they factored that in....

I drive a lot in Sweden over the winter, and winter tyres are law, so everyone must use them, but guess what, everyone was still stuck when the snow hit in December last year....

Just my findings.....but I don't see any improvement using them...

i had a bmw z4 before the audi and winter tyres made a big difference almost night and day so i'm a big convert to them just fitted some on the miss's audi a3 convertible last lot of snow she pulled away up our close no problem unlike the guy in the merc further down the road

I wouldn't go as far as calling winter tyres "BS"
As you say in most european countries it is law, so the scandanavians etc can't be that wrong.
After having a good set of Falkens on my A4 and changing to winter tyres I did find the difference, the tread pattern is totally different from the summer tyres, I find giving more grip, pushing more crud out the way so the tyre can do its job.
but as you say it really does come down to personal preference. :yes:

Isn't the A3 quattro "on-demand" ? I had a A5 3.0 tdi quattro tiptronic before, and with the 60% rear torque split standard, it was real fun to drive! Can you get the A3 quattro to drift a little or is it safe and boring?

Isn't the A3 quattro "on-demand" ? I had a A5 3.0 tdi quattro tiptronic before, and with the 60% rear torque split standard, it was real fun to drive! Can you get the A3 quattro to drift a little or is it safe and boring?

yes you can int he snow , or wet conditions on all 4 wheels (i have atleast) with ESP off

OK, cause on the non-haldex torsen quattro (all but A3 and TT) the rear end tends to come out nicely if you push it with the ESP off ofc.