Ways to improve S3 handling?

George29

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to kill the horrendous understeer in my S3. Is there a way to do so without fitting rock hard suspension and lowering it? I was thinking of maybe a rear anti roll bar, but do these make a lot of difference? Is a Haldex controller worth it?

The tyres are getting changed for Michelin Pilot SuperSports as soon as the awful Bridgestones wear out (the sooner the better) so hopefully that will help, I'm just after other ideas and opinions if anyone else has done similar stuff to their S3.

do front and back H&R anti roll bars, WALK and if you want more then set of coilovers would finish it off nicely.

I'll have a look into the anti roll bars, cheers :)

I don't want it lowering any too, would coilovers not do that?

depends on what kind of coilovers you willing to buy. But mostly they do lower it a bit. I found antiroll bars being a great improvement over stock, they make car turn in much quicker and reducing body roll.

depends on what kind of coilovers you willing to buy. But mostly they do lower it a bit. I found antiroll bars being a great improvement over stock, they make car turn in much quicker and reducing body roll.

That sounds perfect thanks. Ill give them a go and see if it improves it to a level I'm happy with :)

Give Damian@dpm a shout for all these parts, he stocks allot & knows the best solution.

Reactions: N8
I found the WALK (whiteline anti-lift kit) and the THS FR3 engine mounts to be the two mods that made the greatest difference to the car; under acceleration particularly the whole thing feels more planted and predictable.

Never invested in a thicker rear ARB or an upgraded haldex controller, so can't really comment on those parts.

Coilovers
ARBs
Full Polybush
Uprated Haldex

N8 I was thinking of getting some bbs alloys still 18 and wanted to get rid of the arch gap would eibach prongs do that (do bear in mind my driveway is on a hill and at the bottom it might scrape if I go tooo low the reason I'm asking you is because you are the guru of stance

Start with the easiest, tyre pressures.
i'm running 38F 33R, much better.

In this order for mine...
kW v3 coilovers and H&R ARBs....these make a huge difference.
Haldex controller....is only worth it after the mods above.
Superpro bushes(all round) and antilift kit...does make a difference in overall feel.
Tyres do make a difference as well,and the Bridgestones are awful as you know,but even without those,understeer is a big problem on the S3,and even after that lot,there is still some left....I'm having adjustable topmounts and uprating the coilovers to basically Clubsport spec,to get a bit of front camber as well.

Reactions: N8
I'm trying to wear out my awful Bridgestones ASAP so I can get some Pilot SuperSports on! :)
Those things just don't wear out.

Chuck 'em and get some good tyres!