JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alva78

Thread: Poor MPG on 1.6TDI Sport!!!

Reverse Gear

Status

Poor MPG on 1.6TDI Sport!!!

I picked up a second hand 1.6TDI A3 Sportback, 59 plate, one of the main reasons for choosing this model was the attractive MPG that I was supposed to get with the car! I travelled over 100 miles with mainly motorway but a varied journey. I only got 48 MPG for an average of the journey, I was expecting at least 55 ish!!!!

Is this normal for the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    they say its not that economical as Audi claims. Did you read any reviews prior to buying the car?
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Varied as in lead foot at times & stop/start?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Not in depth reviews, no! With Audi advertising an average of 68MPG I presumed I would get there or there abouts! Not 20MPG less!

i haven't used a full tank of diesel yet so will record the actual miles from a full tank.

The car is due for a long life oil change in 4k miles but might do it now, would this make a big difference?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I didn't go over 80 on the motorway part of my journey. It was too cold for start / stop to be activated!

maybe it's my driving style, I normally drive a 2001 Audi A4 2.0 petrol. Even this car gives me 35MPG on average!

5th Gear

Status
    Advertised MPG should be taken with pinch of salt.
    IMHO, for good mpg from a car this size/weight, engine needs to develop around 140bhp.
    Sadly you've been caught out...

Landrover Evoque Diesel Auto is claimed to give around 44mpg, but real world figures dips to around 32mpg...

My previous car Mini Cooper Diesel Auto returned around 50 ~ 55 mpg, depending on weather temp.

Do you think the new A3 1.6 TDi will achive 74mpg in normal driving????? I doubt it...
    Audi A3 1.6 TDI Sport first drive review Review | Autocar
    Last edited by MrLapou; 13th February 2013 at 10:51.

5th Gear

Status
    New air filter will make a bigger improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulAshcroft01 View Post
    Not in depth reviews, no! With Audi advertising an average of 68MPG I presumed I would get there or there abouts! Not 20MPG less!

i haven't used a full tank of diesel yet so will record the actual miles from a full tank.

The car is due for a long life oil change in 4k miles but might do it now, would this make a big difference?
    Last edited by MrLapou; 13th February 2013 at 12:33.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Air filter will make a bigger improvement.
    2-3mpgs? Never heard of any diesel engine to benefit a lot from fitting aftermarket filter unless BT is fitted.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

6th Gear

Status

Audi are quite prepared to give a 30% leeway on the consumption figures.With a quote of 68mpg, i would expect in real time about 40.And the oil change will make no differance either.Didnt on my 2.0 170 a4
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

1st Gear

Status
    Cold weather, old diesel, old oil, DPF burn off's, all contribute to sh*te MPG. Diesels also take about 15K to free up and run best.

MPG tests are done on a roller with simulated Coefficent of friction so it's a stick in the ground at most, If your light on the loud pedal and use the fuel cutoff as much as possible (pre empting the need for stopping by coming off the throttle early) you should be able to get the combined figure.
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,
    Tons of Minis

Neutral

Status
    In my highly uninformed opinion, the 1.9 TDi would have been the one to go for. The 1.6 might be a tad underpowered, which means you end up using a bit more right foot than you realise. Pals of mine with the 1.9 diesel lump in the Golf's are returning very impressive mpg numbers.

1st Gear

Status
    Driving to and from work I was amazed how much of a difference the outside temperature makes. Also if your new to the car it might come up a bit once you get used to where its MPG sweet spots are!

5th Gear

Status

I've recorded an average of 62mpg in my a3 2.0tdi DSG 140 over a 100 mile round trip consisting of 75 miles motorway 25 back roads

2nd Gear

Status
    My MPG has gone down a little since the remap due to the right foot being heavy! But am still returning 50+ when careful on motorways

2.0TDi PD 140 (180ish)

As the temperature this time of year is cold/dense there will be more air being crammed into the engine, this in theory means that the engine is likely to be adding more fuel... Or am I talking tosh?!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmo View Post
    In my highly uninformed opinion, the 1.9 TDi would have been the one to go for. The 1.6 might be a tad underpowered, which means you end up using a bit more right foot than you realise. Pals of mine with the 1.9 diesel lump in the Golf's are returning very impressive mpg numbers.
    I agree with this. It's a small engine for a relatively heavy car.
    Big engines FTW. When I'm on an economy drive it's 2nd, 4th, 6th without reving past 1500

2nd Gear

Status

I picked up a second hand 1.6TDI A3 Sportback, 59 plate, one of the main reasons for choosing this model was the attractive MPG that I was supposed to get with the car! I travelled over 100 miles with mainly motorway but a varied journey. I only got 48 MPG for an average of the journey, I was expecting at least 55 ish!!!!

Is this normal for the engine?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    In my 1.6TDI I get on average 60MPG on my commute to and from work, 30 miles motorway and some back roads, all at about 50-60mph. From experience you won't see anything near that at 80mph! Try drop it down to 70, apparently some engines use 20% more fuel at 80.
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

2nd Gear

Status
    that is low mate i can get 47 out of my 2.0 tdi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. I have got it booked into audi for a diagnostic but from reading your posts I am guessing they won't find anything wrong. I will change the oil and air filter and see if I get squeeze anymore out of it!

i am just a bit miffed with audi falsely advertising these figures! Naive I know! Rant over!

Reverse Gear

Status

Re: Poor MPG on 1.6TDI Sport!!!

try laying off the pedal a bit.

what revs are you sitting at ? over 2000 Id imagine

try dropping your speed of 80mph to 60mph or around 1600-1700 revs.

try that over course of a tank and work out your avg

Neutral

Status
    Also try millers diesel treatment for 10 fill ups it will give you a bit more bhp and clean the injectors aswell i use it on all fill-ups.
    Paul76R likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Do not waste time or money changing oil.. Do you think you'll recoup the cost in fuel saving?

2nd Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Do not waste time or money changing oil.. Do you think you'll recoup the cost in fuel saving?
    +1. Same with people getting a remap to improve mpg alone, crazy.
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

Neutral

Status
    Unlucky purchase. I had a right set to with Audi over my 1.6TDI. I got one when they first came out. Ran it for two years and was more than pleased to see the back of it.
    The computer may tell you it's returning 50+, I can assure you when measured at the pump (Which I kept record for EVERY tank fill) you will be lucky to get 50!! Mine averaged 48MPG over 72,000 miles !!! nothing like the book says. I had it checked by Audi dealer 3 times, and once by an Independent and all said engine was running perfect. The car was serviced by Audi regular, Tyres and alignment changed and checked regular, I even changed driving styles to see if it made any difference. I did run it with 245 x 45 x 18" wheels and that added about 5mpg!!
    I now have a 2.0TDI 170 BE S-line DSG....MPG...consistently 50+mpg along with some exciting driving