Oil leak with pics can anyone identify of seen anything similair?

OVRA3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Noticed today I seem to have an oil leak from something although not being a techie I dont really know what it is. I have attached a couiple of pics and hope someone might be able to help. Pic's are looking from the front just under the engine cover near the PCV (although I have removed the oil cap and no pressue and a slight lumpy idle on removing it so dont think its PCV) other pics are taken from the side near the battery. Any idea's would be appreciated as the car hasnt felt itself for a few weeks... Slightly sluggish and the ocassional what feels like misfire when I let off throttle not under load. Plugs and packs been done and no fault codes showing?

Car1Car2Car3

Was any oil spilt when topping up the engine oil?

I dont think so its all on the pipes and looks alot like its coming from the corner of the thing in picture 2 lol whatever that is? Although I could be wrong. Its doesnt look like its sprayed out if that makes sense more like a drip of sorts? Getting P!ssed off with the car to be honest its one thing after another at the moment.

I had a very similar problem with my 1.9tdi.took it back to the garage as it was still under warrenty. Anyway the gave the engine a good hose down.Then turned the engine on ,turned out the oil was coming from the rocker cover.Renewed gasket seal,no more leaks touch wood
Hope this helps

I had a very similar problem with my 1.9tdi.took it back to the garage as it was still under warrenty. Anyway the gave the engine a good hose down.Then turned the engine on ,turned out the oil was coming from the rocker cover.Renewed gasket seal,no more leaks touch wood
Hope this helps

Thanks mate is that an expensive fix I know you said it was a warranty job and was the car driving better after?

Mines the same (I think). I noticed the leak after I changed the water temp sensor on the right hand side of the block.

Mines the same (I think). I noticed the leak after I changed the water temp sensor on the right hand side of the block.

I'm going to take the cover off this weekend and give it a really good clean down there and then keep an eye on it to see where its coming from as I'm not convinced its the gasket? Its due for a service at the end of the the month so will get my Indy to have a look then and see where the leak is coming from, wondering if its a boost pipe or something leaking?

I found out about the oil leak on my Audi from a free safety check.What the technician said was " If the car was in for an MOT and the oil was dripping on something like an exaust or anything that would be a safety issue.Then the car would be isued with an advisory notice.AS it was he did give me an advisory notice on the safety sheet .Probably they wanted the work,,,Maybe
Does the car sound,drive any better? No just glad its fixed.

Right I'm getting there can anyone tell me what this pipe in the picture does? Does it run oil and if leaking what other than making mess impact does it have?

Thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936707074037
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936747615868

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936730.459299.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936730.459299.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 220
Its a vacuum hose from the PCV (the disk shaped thing).

The PCV is a valve that keeps a vaccum in the head, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the oil.. but If it is you probably have a boost leak there too.

I believe that is the pipe connecting PCV valve to manifold, could be wrong. But i believe that some oil gets into the system which is why people tend to install a catch-can to catch the oil so only gases re-enter the system.

Edit: Nick9one1 beat me to it.

Its a vacuum hose from the PCV (the disk shaped thing).

The PCV is a valve that keeps a vaccum in the head, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the oil.. but If it is you probably have a boost leak there too.

It doesn't seem like its coming from the pcv as its quite dry around there. Seems like a little oil around the end of that pipe and down underneath it slightly to the right. There seems to be a few pipes around there so not sure if it might be one of those. What's the next step to finding out which one it is? Any ideas?

You can see in the pic below some oil on what I am guessing is the right hand side of the manifold

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360938181812372

Would this count as pcv failing then? As in that's why oil is leaking from the connecting pipe? No codes bein thrown and when I take the cap off the oil it runs lumpy and no pressure on the cap so?????

I'd clean it all up with some engine cleaner and keep an eye on it. It could be that its taken ages for that level of oil to build up.. making it hard to see where its actually coming from.

It's in for a service end of the month. So ill have a chat with the tech

I had a similar issue but was from me spilling oil when filling and it running down the outside of a pipe! Hope you get it sorted for cheap pal!

I'd clean it all up with some engine cleaner and keep an eye on it. It could be that its taken ages for that level of oil to build up.. making it hard to see where its actually coming from.

I've not needed to top up since my last service so it's either a recent leak or one that is very slow.. It seems more like its sprayed a little rather than a leak as such from the spread of it so thinking its a pipe thing ill see what happens at the end of the month. Thinking boost leak or pcv as its not as rapid recently as it was or maybe I'm just used to stage 1 ;-) still thinking pcv or the pipe to it

Last edited: