Chris NottAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

Oil leak with pics can anyone identify of seen anything similair?

Hi all,

Noticed today I seem to have an oil leak from something although not being a techie I dont really know what it is. I have attached a couiple of pics and hope someone might be able to help. Pic's are looking from the front just under the engine cover near the PCV (although I have removed the oil cap and no pressue and a slight lumpy idle on removing it so dont think its PCV) other pics are taken from the side near the battery. Any idea's would be appreciated as the car hasnt felt itself for a few weeks... Slightly sluggish and the ocassional what feels like misfire when I let off throttle not under load. Plugs and packs been done and no fault codes showing?

Car1.jpgCar2.jpgcar3.jpg
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Was any oil spilt when topping up the engine oil?

5th Gear

Status
    I dont think so its all on the pipes and looks alot like its coming from the corner of the thing in picture 2 lol whatever that is? Although I could be wrong. Its doesnt look like its sprayed out if that makes sense more like a drip of sorts? Getting P!ssed off with the car to be honest its one thing after another at the moment.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had a very similar problem with my 1.9tdi.took it back to the garage as it was still under warrenty. Anyway the gave the engine a good hose down.Then turned the engine on ,turned out the oil was coming from the rocker cover.Renewed gasket seal,no more leaks touch wood
    Hope this helps

5th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
    I had a very similar problem with my 1.9tdi.took it back to the garage as it was still under warrenty. Anyway the gave the engine a good hose down.Then turned the engine on ,turned out the oil was coming from the rocker cover.Renewed gasket seal,no more leaks touch wood
    Hope this helps
    Thanks mate is that an expensive fix I know you said it was a warranty job and was the car driving better after?

Neutral

Status
    Mines the same (I think). I noticed the leak after I changed the water temp sensor on the right hand side of the block.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nick9one1 View Post
    Mines the same (I think). I noticed the leak after I changed the water temp sensor on the right hand side of the block.
    I'm going to take the cover off this weekend and give it a really good clean down there and then keep an eye on it to see where its coming from as I'm not convinced its the gasket? Its due for a service at the end of the the month so will get my Indy to have a look then and see where the leak is coming from, wondering if its a boost pipe or something leaking?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I found out about the oil leak on my Audi from a free safety check.What the technician said was " If the car was in for an MOT and the oil was dripping on something like an exaust or anything that would be a safety issue.Then the car would be isued with an advisory notice.AS it was he did give me an advisory notice on the safety sheet .Probably they wanted the work,,,Maybe
    Does the car sound,drive any better? No just glad its fixed.

5th Gear

Status

Right I'm getting there can anyone tell me what this pipe in the picture does? Does it run oil and if leaking what other than making mess impact does it have?

Thanks
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936707.074037.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360936747.615868.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neutral

Status
    Its a vacuum hose from the PCV (the disk shaped thing).

The PCV is a valve that keeps a vaccum in the head, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the oil.. but If it is you probably have a boost leak there too.

6th Gear

Status
    I believe that is the pipe connecting PCV valve to manifold, could be wrong. But i believe that some oil gets into the system which is why people tend to install a catch-can to catch the oil so only gases re-enter the system.

Edit: Nick9one1 beat me to it.
    Ron
    Audi A3 8P2 2.0Tfsi S-Line Special Edition Bluefin

3dr Mauritius Blue || Full Leather|| BOSE || MFSW || Auto Lights/Wipers || Auto Dim Rearview Mirror || Heated Mirrors
    Mods: S3 Aluminium Pedals || S3 Vents || 2010 RNSE || OEM Bluetooth || Dension Gateway 100 || MY09 Rear Lights || Single Xenon Headlights

5th Gear

Status

Its a vacuum hose from the PCV (the disk shaped thing).

The PCV is a valve that keeps a vaccum in the head, I'm not sure if that is the cause of the oil.. but If it is you probably have a boost leak there too.
    It doesn't seem like its coming from the pcv as its quite dry around there. Seems like a little oil around the end of that pipe and down underneath it slightly to the right. There seems to be a few pipes around there so not sure if it might be one of those. What's the next step to finding out which one it is? Any ideas?

5th Gear

Status

You can see in the pic below some oil on what I am guessing is the right hand side of the manifold

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360938181.812372.jpg

5th Gear

Status

Would this count as pcv failing then? As in that's why oil is leaking from the connecting pipe? No codes bein thrown and when I take the cap off the oil it runs lumpy and no pressure on the cap so?????

Neutral

Status
    I'd clean it all up with some engine cleaner and keep an eye on it. It could be that its taken ages for that level of oil to build up.. making it hard to see where its actually coming from.

5th Gear

Status

It's in for a service end of the month. So ill have a chat with the tech

1st Gear

Status
    I had a similar issue but was from me spilling oil when filling and it running down the outside of a pipe! Hope you get it sorted for cheap pal!

5th Gear

Status

I'd clean it all up with some engine cleaner and keep an eye on it. It could be that its taken ages for that level of oil to build up.. making it hard to see where its actually coming from.
    I've not needed to top up since my last service so it's either a recent leak or one that is very slow.. It seems more like its sprayed a little rather than a leak as such from the spread of it so thinking its a pipe thing ill see what happens at the end of the month. Thinking boost leak or pcv as its not as rapid recently as it was or maybe I'm just used to stage 1 ;-) still thinking pcv or the pipe to it
    Last edited by OVRA3; 15th February 2013 at 18:55.