Badger5JMB Retrofits
    VOIP Dude

Status

DSG Clutch problems

So, I get in my car this week to drive to the airport, and being very anti-everything at 4 in the morning, I had no music on, just the sweet tune (!?) of the TDi (engine, not TDiLine, lol) and heard this horrible [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif[/img]ed bearing noise when pulling away...... It's there all the time, every time you move in 1st.....

So, after calling around the local dealers who were all about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, I dropped in to Aylesbury Audi as it is on the way to the GF's place....

They were excellent [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img], took my baby out and came back to say:

We think one of the clutches has burnt out. There might be a new upgraded part as this is the case for A4's. You can carry on driving it, we'l book it in for next month for 2 days.

So upshot is, they have to take an oil sample, test it, check for swarf, then replace any required components....

All this at 12,000 miles!!! Anyone heard of similar problems?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status

Re: DSG Clutch problems

Nope, fortunately not. DSG is comparative new technology but this is the first failure i've heard of.

Is it chipped by any chance?

VOIP Dude

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it chipped by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish!!! Nah totally standard, except for a lack of badging at the back... Audi will probably say the weight difference this made caused the failure and therefore it won't be covered by warranty, lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif[/img]

According to the tech, (and I don't think I was supposed to hear this) there is a "common" fault with the clutches on A4 DSG cars which has led to a new, upgraded clutch pack for them....

Maybe I just drive too hard

A4s are not available with the DSG gearbox.

The in-line engine models use the totally different Multitronic gearbox which is a CVT with metal bands and electronic control of change points.

The DSG is basically an electronically controlled manual geabox with twin clutches in an oil-bath.

VOIP Dude

Status

[ QUOTE ]

The in-line engine models use the totally different Multitronic gearbox which is a CVT with metal bands and electronic control of change points.

The DSG is basically an electronically controlled manual geabox with twin clutches in an oil-bath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm thats a bit odd then... I'm sure the tech said about being a common issue on A4's.....

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The A4 CVT and the DSG do have one thing in common.....in place of a coventional automtaic transmission's torque convertor is a multiplate clutch running in an oil bath. I'd guess that actual design is different though the concept will be similar?

VOIP Dude

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The A4 CVT and the DSG do have one thing in common.....in place of a coventional automtaic transmission's torque convertor is a multiplate clutch running in an oil bath. I'd guess that actual design is different though the concept will be similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

That might explain it!