New S3 Imminent?

gdwood

Reaction score
Got my increasingly-ancient S3 serviced today. Speaking to senior Service Tech whose background is with Audi DTM Team and apparently has good Audi connections in der Vaterland.

Said Tech is convinced that the announcement of the new S3 is imminent, that it will have a 2.0 litre four with "about 240bhp", and that it will be a belter.

Bit surprised about the 2.0 litre four, and 240bhp seems a bit on the low side to me, given the output of recent "S" cars.

Anyone care to comment? (puts on tin hat and hides behind sofa.....)

With the current pressure on the enviromental aspects of engine design and a desire for a low C02 number perhaps we shouldn't be all that surprised.

240bhp would be an absolute scream if there was stacks of torque to go with it - absolute BHP on it's own is only half the story........

When we're talking about cars that should be performance oriented, absolute bhp is exactly what it's all about.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Another one to stick under the S3 rumour mill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe absolute BHP is what it's all about, but the 2.0T DSG S-Line I had for the day whilst my TDI was being serviced did not pull out of corners as well as my TDI.

Bhp is OK for top speed but torque is also important.

Seems a bit stange when the 3.2 A3 is putting out 250bhp. Saying that, thats exactly what the new R32 has and the old version R32 had more power than the S3.

Disapointing if its true. But what engine? 3.2 or a FSI turbo? Hope its a turbo so if I can save the pennies and buy won there is plenty scope to play!

Saying that it would really need to be more of a drivers car than the last to justify the price tag for me.

[ QUOTE ]
When we're talking about cars that should be performance oriented, absolute bhp is exactly what it's all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say I agree with that at all.

Based on what your saying if there was a 250bhp car and a 275bhp car your go for the 275bhp one.

Surely that's only a fraction of the story. What if the 250 car was a 1/3 less in weight, had a much lighter engine (resulting in better turn in), lighter unsprung weight (better handling), sportily tuned suspension etc etc etc.

I can see them bringing out a car where the top line figure is not what it's all about. If they focus on the cars ability instead of maintaining the mantra that "absolute bhp is exactly what it's all about" then I believe they'll end up with a better car.

As a current example - 3.2 TT Vs 1.8T Quattro Sport TT

But do we think that the S3 announcement is imminent? Without getting into the BHP argument can't see it being less than the current 3.2 at 250 BHP

Not that bothered - sold my S3 3 months ago because I thought it was a good time and I want a new one !!!

Hi,

I am new to these forums. I am an absolute Audi fanatic.

I have been lurking these forums, but have not posted before.

I absolutely can not wait for the next S3. It is really bugging that I Audi is taking such a long time to release this hot hatch.

I put my name down for one at the beginning of last year. My dealer also sent me an email to say that I am first order on the S3 at the dealership.

Lets hope, we hear some news soon.....like very soon.

FYI : This is our South African Audi club forum : http://www.audiclubsa.org.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Ciao,
Ved

So really all they need to do is improve on the new GTI slightly then.

Job done = new S3.

Do you think maybe it will come out more along the lightweight TT way of thinking? My dealer reckons it may well edge slightly towards an RS3 than an S3 with the 2.0 Turbo engine from the new TT, which will have a "upgrade" from the current 2.0T engine, I reckon 2.0T with 250ish and a lightweight interior.......

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think maybe it will come out more along the lightweight TT way of thinking? My dealer reckons it may well edge slightly towards an RS3 than an S3 with the 2.0 Turbo engine from the new TT, which will have a "upgrade" from the current 2.0T engine, I reckon 2.0T with 250ish and a lightweight interior.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope thats the way they go, a nice increase in torque over the last and turbo with a room to fiddle with. I'd certainly pester my bank manager if that was the case.

Why is it that Audi release a car like an S3 with so much scope for improving the performance later? I can see why standard models might be detuned but surely the S3 has only one purpose. I'm surprised by the potential increases offered by tuning houses on the previous models. Would have thought Audi would be capable of pushing it further.

That surely is down to the balanced decision a manufacturer must take regarding performance vs. longevity.

Audi would of course like to produce more powerful vehicles than they do - they would take more business away from the competition. Your point is fair, why dont they.

We all know a stage 3 tuned car will seriously outperform a standard one. Largely it is fair to say if this work was done at the manufacturing stage it would only add a very small cost if any to the car.

However - Audi would like to think that the standard car, with standard servicing, will be good for 100,000miles without major attention required, and other than the odd unlucky soul I think this is probably fair comment.

IS that equally fair comment of a highly tuned car? I'm sure many have in fact covered high miles in highly tuned cars, but as these forums show, there are certainly those ones which let go badly..

would be interesting to see figures on this! Especially as this is all conjecture on my part!

I'm not even talking about a stage 3 increase. The stage one remaps seem to add a lot of extra HP and torque. You'd think the scope for increasing at that level should be limited as Audi would have done a lot up front.

Its a fair point..

Rover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif used to sell two different versions of their 2.0td - the standard one and the Sdi, ( which i think were 90Hp and 115Hp respectively) only difference I believe being the ecu.. and a nice price hike for the higher performance model!

the other question would be to ask what effect does the remap have on CO2 figures, massively important for company car purchasers? and therefore vital for the manufacturer to keep as low as possible, even on performance cars..

I assume noone with a remap has been to the IR and informed them that they may need to pay more tax now?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

You also have to consider market placement.

If they gave the S3 alot more power, then they would have to do so to all their S models or there would be an over lap between S3 and the S4 and so forth.

Kev.

Exactly. It' not all about getting the most out of an engine. They may need to leave space in the market place for an RS3 also.

Don't forget that the chassis' also have certain restrictions. This is why the TT never made it past 250bhp.

Also since the percentage of people that get the car and tune it is absolutely minimal, they are not going to factor in the 3rd party tunability as a selling point.

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. It' not all about getting the most out of an engine. They may need to leave space in the market place for an RS3 also.

Don't forget that the chassis' also have certain restrictions. This is why the TT never made it past 250bhp.

Also since the percentage of people that get the car and tune it is absolutely minimal, they are not going to factor in the 3rd party tunability as a selling point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Scotty, not everyone is very brave to consider remaps etc.

I know i'm not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a surprise comment from Yak!!!

I guess that's what the new GTI is such a pokey car... it's not the torque COMBINED with the 200bhp lads... Sure why would you think that???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true!!! I am in 2 minds, if I will or will not. I pretty much see std form a balance of power, handling and braking. Tuning and getting more power will mean dynamic changes on the rest of the car.

I just can not wait for the car to be launched.

ved789

But does anyone have any info on when and if that might be - There has been nothing in the mags for ages

I did see a release form with dates for next year at my local dealers at Milton Keynes. Your going to have to wait for the new S6, S8 followed by the S3 around NOVEMBER 2006.

Happy trails. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Its a fair point..

Rover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif used to sell two different versions of their 2.0td - the standard one and the Sdi, ( which i think were 90Hp and 115Hp respectively) only difference I believe being the ecu.. and a nice price hike for the higher performance model!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, thats not correct they were 86 and 105hp. The higher power car was running a different turbo along with electronic injection and an intercooler while the lower powered motor was mechanically injected and non intercooled. I had the misfortune of running a 420SLDi for 18 months as a company motor... not good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a surprise comment from Yak!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got a point, on paper performance is a very powerfull marketing tool... and we are talking about Audi, who's S4 was 1bhp more than an M3.... now tell me that isn't all about figures!

Maybe so... if this was not what he was replying to!!

You can't say 'just bhp' makes a car fast.

[ QUOTE ]

240bhp would be an absolute scream if there was stacks of torque to go with it - absolute BHP on it's own is only half the story........

[/ QUOTE ]

furry ****, point taken! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Not this, new S3 is coming, stuff again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

It is coming. Albeit very very very *yawn* slowly.

How long after the Mk1 A3 did the A3 come along? Perhaps an indication of arrival. Then again, the first version didn't have anything like the 3.2 from launch. Long wait, me thinks. Ideally, Audi should wait until the muted 2.0 TSI twincharger engine comes out.

i saw a black 8p S3 in glasgow (around braehead) yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Twin centre exhaust and some name on the rear bumper to indicate the tuning house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or should i say who made the body kit.

It actually didnt sound that great so i don't think it was a 3.2 even. I didnt get a chance to check it out for performance unfortunately.

It also had those big sink drain wheels.

So there are 8P S3's out there already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif well in Glasgow anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif