Badger5Chris Nott
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18

    Post Emission Control System warning light came on and stays on

    Hi,

    I bought a 2008 A3 2.0TDI 5 door Sportback with 98K miles last October, driving the car home Friday night, the Emission Control System warning light came on and stays on, car drives the same, no noticible difference in performane etc, made it home no problem, looking at the manual, it advised driving the car for 15-20mins between 40-60KMH to burn off the filters, this made sense as I do a short run to work and home (10 mile round trip on B roads with stops/starts for traffic/lights etc) I did this on an A-road and had a 30 mile run (not pushing it at 60-70MPH) on the motorway but the light remains on? is it still safe to drive, I presumed it was ok to drive as owners manual basically advises you to take it on a good run !!!

    The only thing I'd noticed on the car since getting it is a very slight judder when dropping to idle Neutral at traffic lights, it pulls of fine etc, so was planning to mention it at the next service due in May, but just wondering now if that could be related to the warning light? never driven an A3 before so didn't think it was a major problem.

    So planning to take the car to a garage as most of the posts say you need the fault code, I'm concerned it could cost a packet at an Audi dealer, so would a non-dealer garage be able to diagnose the code? I have a 2 year RAC gold warranty I bought with the car (was planning to keep this car a few years as been after an A3 for years), but reading on the forums most people are saying they they try and wriggle out of covering you !!! but the manual does seem fairly comprehensive so I'm hoping i'm covered.

    I also have AA Homestart breakdown cover through my bank, is it worth calling them out to see if they can diagnose the fault?

    Can anyone recommend a garage in Manchester? Manchester Audi is the main dealer near me, they will probably charge me £100+ just to plug the fault code laptop in

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,528
    look on the vcds users map
    and PM anyone local to scan for you

  4. #3
    Lewis583's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    872
    As Bez101 said it needs scanning. You can either check the VCDS users map and contact someone who is local to you LINK TO VCDS MAP

    or contact a specialist local to you. AwesomeGTi are based in Manchester and they're also a sponsor of this forum. Try dropping them a PM/posting a new thread in their section.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

    2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

    ** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    As Bez101 said it needs scanning. You can either check the VCDS users map and contact someone who is local to you LINK TO VCDS MAP

    or contact a specialist local to you. AwesomeGTi are based in Manchester and they're also a sponsor of this forum. Try dropping them a PM/posting a new thread in their section.
    Hi,

    Thanks, I have PM someone in the Manchester area, so awaiting their response.

    Thanks.

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    36
    I had the same thing on my 170 tdi, so I called out RAC and he said it was the pressure sensor or temperature sensor. I have warranty so I took it to audi and they fixed it for me.

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28

    T5

    I work on transporter t5s and they are the same. We are told by the main dealer if that light comes on go for a long drive an rev it through the gears to clear out the crap. If you dont its an new 1 which on a t5 is a £1000.

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    I took the car to Halfords today as they have a link with my RAC warranty, they put it on the scanner and it came back

    P0234 - overboost condition

    rather than charge for the dianostics check as RAC warranty won't cover carbon build up in the turbo, they put in DPF Cleaner & Diesel System Cleaner as it is likely to be carbon build up in the Turbo they reckon, they've reset the fault so I will see if it returns, car feels abit more responsive at high revs, they advised driving the car abit harder as I do low milage on b roads to and from work, so don't hammer it, thinking more about fuel economy!!!! so will have to see....

  9. #8
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,219
    some say put it in 3rd gear and put nail it down the slow lane of the motorway for a minute or so?!

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    some say put it in 3rd gear and put nail it down the slow lane of the motorway for a minute or so?!
    Yeah, gonna drive it abit harder now, never realised the carbon builds uplike that in Diesels, I've driven petrol engines till now.

    The Audi manual states to drive the car at higher revs for about 15-20 mnutes if you get the DPF warning light to heat it up and burn the blockage off, seems scray to thrash it in third gear if you have an engine warning light on !!!!

    I've read a few posts talking about Turbo's failing and costing £1000 to replace, so its abit scary since I only got the car a few months ago and I wanted a car to last me a few years so got a nice spec one with a warranty, to find out the warranty is pretty useless

  11. #10
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp98 View Post
    Yeah, gonna drive it abit harder now, never realised the carbon builds uplike that in Diesels, I've driven petrol engines till now.

    The Audi manual states to drive the car at higher revs for about 15-20 mnutes if you get the DPF warning light to heat it up and burn the blockage off, seems scray to thrash it in third gear if you have an engine warning light on !!!!

    I've read a few posts talking about Turbo's failing and costing £1000 to replace, so its abit scary since I only got the car a few months ago and I wanted a car to last me a few years so got a nice spec one with a warranty, to find out the warranty is pretty useless

    alot of people tend to go for a DPF delete and a remap, which means more power and less hastle. Tbh your RAC cover should cover for a new DPF if it fails?

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    The warranty has exemptions on carbonisation of the Turbo and exhaust system through wear and tear, which i'm guessing the DPF would be?

  13. #12
    Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stockport, Cheshire
    Posts
    748
    Hi,

    we are in Stockport and are specialists in this area, we can do a diagnosis no problem.

    Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

  14. #13
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by ecnirp98 View Post
    The warranty has exemptions on carbonisation of the Turbo and exhaust system through wear and tear, which i'm guessing the DPF would be?
    Sorry, but what kind of a warranty is that bearing in mind 'carbonisation' is mainly the root cause of all turbo problems and the exhaust system is not usually a problem ?

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    alot of people tend to go for a DPF delete and a remap, which means more power and less hastle. Tbh your RAC cover should cover for a new DPF if it fails?
    Having researched abit more, my car is an 08 140BHP, so I think its an 8P2 model, which does not have a DPF.

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Sorry, but what kind of a warranty is that bearing in mind 'carbonisation' is mainly the root cause of all turbo problems and the exhaust system is not usually a problem ?
    Its not a good one, but most warranties exempt wear & tear, they did it half price when I bought the car, and I wanted decent cover as I wanted to keep the car a few years and it was fairly high mileage at 100K, it covers mechanical failure, not wear & tear, I didn't realise the Turbo was pretty much exempted though.

    Reading a few posts on the web, they seem to wriggle quite abit and get out of any cover, its called RAC Gold, but is actually administered by the warranty group, so RAC claim no culpability when you complain to them.

  17. #16
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    I used Warranty Direct when I got my car. Wear and tear is covered after the first three months of taking out the policy and immediate when renewed. All labour is covered and parts are subject to a reduction based on mileage.

    Got a new turbo 2 years ago which cost me £200 !

    Premium was £270 with £50 excess. Fortunately ( or unfortunately !) I have not needed a repair since.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st December 2012, 22:14
  2. Warning light help - emission Control system
    By a3tazza in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th March 2012, 18:37
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st February 2012, 13:09
  4. emission control system warning light flashing............
    By tisinthepark in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 20th February 2011, 17:02
  5. Emission Control System light's on.
    By dkelly in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16th July 2007, 10:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO