S3 DSG owners opinions needed

H17YD L

Reaction score
My last car was a 7 speed DSG and now I've got the 6 speed in the S3, when I used to set off fast in the 7 it used to set off soon as I touched the accelerator but in the S3 if I floor it for a quick get away it will bring the revs up and will slip the clutch before it takes off, is this normal and does everyone else's do this?

My last car was a 7 speed DSG and now I've got the 6 speed in the S3, when I used to set off fast in the 7 it used to set off soon as I touched the accelerator but in the S3 if I floor it for a quick get away it will bring the revs up and will slip the clutch before it takes off, is this normal and does everyone else's do this?

There is defo a fair delay when you put your foot down from a standstill.

Funnily enough, I used to race Lawnmowers (don't laugh, they are surprisingly quick once 'tuned'!) and they felt just the same.

The feel is very similiar to a centrifugal clutch of which the lawn mower had!

Very annoying at junctions and roundabouts. But soon makes up for it once on boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to know!
In a way once you get used to it it's a lot better than the 7 speed one. It allows the engine to get the revs up first.
Thanks for the reply!

Honestly mate, I was shocked at how fast these things can go.

Stick a centrifugal clutch on a ride on Westwood 14/15hp Briggs and Stratton mower and a foot cable throttle and they absolutely fly!!

Weld the rear diff up so you can go full on sideways, and it's probably the most fun I've ever had behind a wheel if I'm honest!

Most venues are at pubs on the fields out back, so a lot of the time everyone is fully merry and having a great time.

Its a serious 'sport' though. Have to wear helmets and there's proper yellow jacket people there and ambulances!

If you ever get chance to have a go, do it!!

Honestly mate, I was shocked at how fast these things can go.

Stick a centrifugal clutch on a ride on Westwood 14/15hp Briggs and Stratton mower and a foot cable throttle and they absolutely fly!!

Weld the rear diff up so you can go full on sideways, and it's probably the most fun I've ever had behind a wheel if I'm honest!

Most venues are at pubs on the fields out back, so a lot of the time everyone is fully merry and having a great time.

Its a serious 'sport' though. Have to wear helmets and there's proper yellow jacket people there and ambulances!

If you ever get chance to have a go, do it!!

Real Ale n big tashes n that.?

Real Ale n big tashes n that.?

Yes real ale for sure, all sorts of people, some travel across the whole of the UK for the races. Crazy.

Mostly locals and farmers with a screw lose.

Ours had a straight through exhaust (flippin loud!) and we re-cut the tread on the tyres so they were nobbly.

Racing on a budget. :)

Haha it does sound like fun! A bit like go-karting I suppose.

On a separate note when you select reverse after being in D does it take a few seconds to engage? Like if your backing into a space it's like it takes 2-3 seconds before it will start to reverse?

Haha it does sound like fun! A bit like go-karting I suppose.

On a separate note when you select reverse after being in D does it take a few seconds to engage? Like if your backing into a space it's like it takes 2-3 seconds before it will start to reverse?

Yes, I always give it a couple of seconds after selecting the gear to sort itself out. As if you jump on the throttle straight away it can be very jolty.

That's good to know, thanks! I've only had the car 3 weeks and I'm making sure everything is ok as the audi warranty runs out the end of the month.