Glow plug problem costing me a fortune trying to find cause

chale989

Reaction score
Ok so i have a 2005 2.0 tdi but when i turn the key the glow plug light will not go out.

I have 2 options , turn the key 15-20 times or sit and wait for 5-10 minutes and the light will go off itself.

I have so far replaced all 4 glow plugs , put in a brand new battery and had the key re programmed.

Any Ideas anyone?

Once the engine is warm, if i turn it off and then turn key then the lights will go straight off. Its usually when engine has been standing for longer then 10 minutes.

Guys i really need advice. Ive had diagnostics ran 3 times from 3 different places and nothing shows

U sure its the glow plugs? As in, isit a solid light or does it flash? If it flashes could be a maf or lambda issue, mine would flash before hittin limp mode when my maf was on its way out. Also one time the turbo was having a once over we ran the car with no intake pipe on the turbo and it flashed continuously too.

I'm guessing you have had the car scanned with a decent diag tool? VCDS would be preferable. Fault codes?

Plugs were replaced by bosch ones that were reccomended.

Scans have been done by audi , the aa and a vw speciliast garage.

How much is a new glow plugs wiring harness?

The light stays light, not flashing.

$once engine is on then there are no issues what so ever. No limp mode or any warning lights

Can the glow plug relay cause a problem? I remember something like this on my MK4 golf

There are no triggers what so ever. Just sit and wait 5 mins or so and it a click noise happens and then it will go off.

Yeap I would test glowplug loom as known to be a problem on some, clicking is probably relay for the glowplug system would need to check schematics to confirm.