Clutch on way out ?

Lincoln S3

Reaction score
Hi all , driving my 2007 S3 with 63k on the clock a couple of weeks ago in 6th put my foot down and it revved up slightly , felt like an automatic. A week later accelerating from 3k revs in 6th felt a slight rise in revs then back down again . I have tested it over a few journeys since and it is now behaving normally . Could it be a one off or the begining of a clutch failing ,

Cheers all

Mate I hate being the bearer of bad news. But it's defo the clutch. Nit starts like that then just gets worse. Invest in a spec smf kit. Not cheap but a very high spec clutch which will handle a lot of punishment:scared2:

Awesome gti make a clutch kit for it its a SMF lightweight with 4 6 puk clutch rated up to 480ft/lbs torque and there has been good reviewes on it from the 8L guys and iirc 8L and 8P 6 speed manual boxes are the same in both chassis ... i know ill be giving it a go

the kit comes witht he MC and bolts all you need around 550 600 pounds iirc

Hi all , driving my 2007 S3 with 63k on the clock a couple of weeks ago in 6th put my foot down and it revved up slightly , felt like an automatic. A week later accelerating from 3k revs in 6th felt a slight rise in revs then back down again . I have tested it over a few journeys since and it is now behaving normally . Could it be a one off or the begining of a clutch failing ,Cheers all
Does sound very like the clutch is getting tired.
If you aren't going to go beyond Stg2+,then a Sachs or Loba organic clutch would be good safe choices,but the Sachs doesn't like being rageed from the start,and needs a good few hundred miles of gentle running in.
I seriously wouldn't recommend a paddle clutch for road use(having used one before),but the Spec Stg3+ clutch is probably the best SMF setup around currently,and will handle nearly 600lbs.....it's what I use on my car.

Yep, sounds like the clutch. Its barely believable that a modern car like this can lunch a clutch so easily. Mine lasted just 20k.

Yep, sounds like the clutch. Its barely believable that a modern car like this can lunch a clutch so easily. Mine lasted just 20k.
I think it was specc'd so close to the car's stock torque that it just has no reserve......the shame of it is the Sachs organic is much more robust,costs about the same and uses the same DMF.

Guys with the clutch on the way out could that be a cause of hesitation?

Guys with the clutch on the way out could that be a cause of hesitation?
You'd simply get a rise in rpm,with no increase in speed,as the clutch begins to slip,and usually most obvious at peak torque,rather than the sort of hesitation you get from plugs/coilpack problems.

Awesome gti make a clutch kit for it its a SMF lightweight with 4 6 puk clutch rated up to 480ft/lbs torque and there has been good reviewes on it from the 8L guys and iirc 8L and 8P 6 speed manual boxes are the same in both chassis ... i know ill be giving it a go

the kit comes witht he MC and bolts all you need around 550 600 pounds iirc
Interesting so this is the SMF the pressure plate and clutch?

So not much chatter on S3 8P using SMF? Does it improve throttle response?

Fyi my clutch started slipping for a while, day after my wife had been driving it, riding the clutch may of glazed it? Strangely not slipping anymore.

Interesting so this is the SMF the pressure plate and clutch?

So not much chatter on S3 8P using SMF? Does it improve throttle response?

Fyi my clutch started slipping for a while, day after my wife had been driving it, riding the clutch may of glazed it? Strangely not slipping anymore.

It will create "hot spots" on your clutch plate and it'll get much worse.

Interesting so this is the SMF the pressure plate and clutch?So not much chatter on S3 8P using SMF? Does it improve throttle response?Fyi my clutch started slipping for a while, day after my wife had been driving it, riding the clutch may of glazed it? Strangely not slipping anymore.
Awesome's own clutch kit is a full face organic plus SMF from the pictures on their site,and not a paddle clutch.
This will certainly make it a bit more road friendly,but there will be more rattle and thrash at idle with an SMF than you're used to.

Awesome's own clutch kit is a full face organic plus SMF from the pictures on their site,and not a paddle clutch.
This will certainly make it a bit more road friendly,but there will be more rattle and thrash at idle with an SMF than you're used to.

hey ALex what SMF and clutch where you using (rated at 600lbs) ? is it the loba one ? as for awesome's clutch they have an option as per what mike told me can choose which clutch to pick 4-6 paddle ...they claim there is no chatter either Westy or Welly forgot who on the 8L section gave it a go and turned out fine on his s3

i've been using loba&sachs smf combo for a month now and it's really great kit. no chatter for now and it feels like oem. pedal was a bit harder at first but it loosen up after some miles. accelerations are violent now, and it feels like it's going to break the engine mounts.
for the chatter i've been told that using some higher grade transmission fluid helps. but so far it's not being an issue.

i've been using loba&sachs smf combo for a month now and it's really great kit. no chatter for now and it feels like oem. pedal was a bit harder at first but it loosen up after some miles. accelerations are violent now, and it feels like it's going to break the engine mounts.
for the chatter i've been told that using some higher grade transmission fluid helps. but so far it's not being an issue.

S. where did u purchase it from ? if i ask.. as i need a replacement soonish :)

hey ALex what SMF and clutch where you using (rated at 600lbs) ? is it the loba one ? as for awesome's clutch they have an option as per what mike told me can choose which clutch to pick 4-6 paddle ...they claim there is no chatter either Westy or Welly forgot who on the 8L section gave it a go and turned out fine on his s3
I use a Spec Stg3+ carbon-metallic clutch.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/155442-spec-stage-3-clutch-2.html
I seriously wouldn't bother with a paddle clutch for road use,as they do not deal with being slipped at all,and if you have a superb alternative like the Spec and you really NEED that sort of rating,then I would look no further.
specclutch.jpg