AH FabricationsChris Nott
    AndyA3170

Weird noise! clutch depressed and trying to start the car

Hey everyone. Got a 2008 A3 2.0 TDI 170.

Twice now in the last day I've gone to start the car and its made a weird noise like the starter motor just doesn't want to start but kind of makes a whine noise , hard to describe the noise but it doesn't start. Turn the key back and try again and it fires up. Is there a known fault with starter motor or clutch pedal switch or has anyone else experienced this before?

Sorry for the vague info on the actual noise it's just hard to describe.

Thanks anyone who can share some insite

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Is it like the starter is spinning but the gear is not?

AndyA3170
    Yeah sort of like a screech noise in a way and with it not firing up I thought starter motor then it does start when you try again. For now lol

2nd Gear

Status
    I had this on my golf. It did it now and then. I never found out what it was as it was so infrequent it didn't really bother me.

Neutral

Status
    Has to be a starter motor problem as it's the only moving part if the engine is not turning over. Sounds like the starter gear is not engaging properly and grinding against the flywheel starter ring. It's usual aswell for a bad starter to give problems intermitantly, when it's on its way out. Could also be a tooth out of the gear aswell.
    I would get it checked out asap by an auto electrician.

AndyA3170
    I did I initially think starter motor, will get it checked out. Anyone replaced there's before, just wondering price wise?

4th Gear

Status

Weird noise! clutch depressed and trying to start the car

When the starter motor runs the starter cog not only spins puts also pushes outward to engage withe the flywheel, its designed like this so when the engine fires the cog can retract back so the flywheel doesn't obliterate it.

If the cog loses its lubrication it will spin but not push out & engage. Lack of lubrication would also explain the screeching noise. Easy solution is to unbolt it & soak the cog & shaft in WD40.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

AndyA3170
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    When the starter motor runs the starter cog not only spins puts also pushes outward to engage withe the flywheel, its designed like this so when the engine fires the cog can retract back so the flywheel doesn't obliterate it.

If the cog loses its lubrication it will spin but not push out & engage. Lack of lubrication would also explain the screeching noise. Easy solution is to unbolt it & soak the cog & shaft in WD40.
    Thanks max, might give that a go first. If I've got it out then at least I can have a look at it too. I'd prefer to try that than just get a new one. If it was a continuous issue I'd replace it but its only done it twice so far and very intermittent