Rain Sensors

beaker

Reaction score
Recent drives in the rain have led me to believe that all rain sensors are crap. I had them years ago on a 206 and didn't think much off them. I thought that time and a better brand might mean these ones would be pretty good but no.

The variable non-sensor system in my old golf was much better. I just find that the sensors tend to have hissy fits now and again and put the wipers onto full blast. I personally think they should go no further than standard wiper speed. Who ever uses full speed anyway - maybe when passing a truck when there's a lot of spray, but otherwise never.

Also, fiddling with the sensitivity has very little difference.

The light sensor on the other hand is excellent.

I agree, sometimes they seem to work with very little water on the screen, other times I find myself going for the flick wipe because I cannot see through the screen. Personally I would prefer to be able to switch off the rain-sensing and choose variable interval wiping in some conditions.

I find the same with the auto-dipping rear view mirror. Most of the time it's fine, but occasionally I get someone behind with badly adjusted xenons and front fog lights on at the same time and the mirror does not cut out enough of the glare. If I could just flick the button and dip the mirror manually everything would be fine. Mine you I do like the self-darkening on the door mirrors. Before I could dip the internal mirror manually only to be blinded by the relections in the door mirror

I've not seen it stated explicitly anywhere but I'm pretty sure the rain sensors are speed dependent. I can get in my car in a morning with a screen full of rain and reverse out and only the rear wiper will come on despite the front screen being absolutely covered. Similarly on the odd occassions that I've reversed into my drive and set off forwards, the wipers still only do intermittent wipes until I get moving.

As soon as I get moving forward, say above 10mph (generally when the doors click locked), then the wipers have a frenzy until the front screen is clear.

I've always found mine to behave perfectly on the motorway. They may be a little enthusiastic but they never "scrape" on a dry screen.

Wouldn't be without 'em.

I had rain sensing wipers in my MKIV Golf which was why I didn't order them on the Audi - they really just did my head in, failing to wipe when needed then flicking over to ultra fast wipe for no reason. Playing with the sensitivity just didn't seem to make any difference, so I sacrificed the light sensor to avoid them.

I miss the auto dimming mirror, but I saw an article somewhere recently that says you can get them aftermarket now, so I'll have to investigate that. I don't experience blinding reflections in the door mirrors much, so I can live without them auto dimming.

I've got them and think they're great!
Had no trouble with them at all, apart from the odd wipe for no reason! They save fiddling with the wiper arm all the time.

I have the sensitivity switch one click back from the right. Seems to be the perfect setting for me.

Must admit, didn't think much of the rain sensor to start with but it has grown on me. Sure it isn't perfect all of the time, but in the majority of situations it seems just fine.

And you're right, it doesn't work when you're stopped, which can be a right pain in the backside when queued at a roundabout and the whole world turns Atlantis on yer ***.

Also love the light sensor and would defo order it again, do get the occaisonal when it doesn't dip as i'd like, but it's much better than not being there at all.

The thing I don't like about the light sensor is that you can't tell which light setting you are on. There is only one symbol on the instruments for lights on and this is the one traditionally reserved for side lights. Only way to be sure you have full lights on in certain conditions is to put them on manually.

Thats said, I just leave it on the sensor all the time and trust that its doing its thing, which it does in all but fog.

I have the light sensors on my IS200 and have only ever switched the auto on, it work perfectly other than if you go under a bridge they flick on for a few seconds

[ QUOTE ]
Thats said, I just leave it on the sensor all the time and trust that its doing its thing, which it does in all but fog.

[/ QUOTE ]

But lets face it, only (unts use fog lights anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personally, I think they should be banned as nobody seems to know how to use them properly.

Front ones....don't really do much anyway, ever.
Rear one, you should only have on if you're the last car in a Q of traffic (and it's bloddy foggy, i.e. you can't see the car in fronts tail light). The amount of times I've nearly rear ended someone coz they've got their fogs on and you can't distinguish their brake lights is unreal.

Down with Fogs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But lets face it, only (unts use fog lights anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personally, I think they should be banned as nobody seems to know how to use them properly.

Front ones....don't really do much anyway, ever.
Rear one, you should only have on if you're the last car in a Q of traffic (and it's bloddy foggy, i.e. you can't see the car in fronts tail light). The amount of times I've nearly rear ended someone coz they've got their fogs on and you can't distinguish their brake lights is unreal.

Down with Fogs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no you misunderstand me. I would put my lights on, not fog lights, in the fog where as the light sensor deems fit to leave all lights off.

I agree fog lights are a waste of time.

My automatic lights were great on holiday in German and Austria with lots of tunnels. The law in those countries requires you to put your headlights on in tunnels. On one stretch of autobahn in German I seem to be popping in and out of tunnels all the time so leaving the car to switch the lights on/off was great. Probably just the sort of situation they were designed to cope with.

I agree that front fog lights are a complete waste of time and must be the most misused item on modern cars. Most drivers seem unable to determine when the rear fog should be used and tend to turn it on a the slightest wiff of mist. They may be OK in thick fog during daylight but are nothing but a nuisance at night.

s'alright J, wasn't getting at you mate, just thoses that do. And I agree, it would be useful if the sensor could somehow work in fog (for normal lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

just a quickie in defence of the front fogs..

I remember travelling back at about 3 in the morning from my girlfriends. The weather was horrendous, with almost zero visibility in a blizzard (i.e. less that 3 metres). Travelling on a b-road with un-hedged fields to the left and right, the snow had drifted and all but covered the road. The only way to tell if i was still on a road or not was to look closely at the sides of the road immediately in front of where i was driving, as you could still just make out the low verges as bumps in the snow.

the only way i made it back home that night was with the fog lights on (albeit on a mk1 fiesta....) The close and wide angle of the beam of the fogs lits the sides lovely.

All said though, i've never had to use them since..

That sounds like a very 'sensible' use of fog lights, just what they were designed for - for use in fog and falling snow not as general extra lights to be switched on at all times.

[ QUOTE ]
just a quickie in defence of the front fogs..

I remember travelling back at about 3 in the morning from my girlfriends. The weather was horrendous, with almost zero visibility in a blizzard (i.e. less that 3 metres). Travelling on a b-road with un-hedged fields to the left and right, the snow had drifted and all but covered the road. The only way to tell if i was still on a road or not was to look closely at the sides of the road immediately in front of where i was driving, as you could still just make out the low verges as bumps in the snow.

the only way i made it back home that night was with the fog lights on (albeit on a mk1 fiesta....) The close and wide angle of the beam of the fogs lits the sides lovely.

All said though, i've never had to use them since..

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate to that nail biting situation.

Didn't the front fogs used to be called 'Driving lights' which would fit the above situation better !

Not sure if it's still the case but fog lights have to be below a certain height from the road, whereas Driving Lights can be mounted higher but have to go out when you change from main to dip beam.

In the bad old days when headlight were next to useless I always used to add driving spot lights on the front grille but with the much better modern headlights they are not necessary, except of course if your going rallying in the forest in the middle of the night !

To go back to auto wipers, my mate has a BMW whose auto wipers played up. The solution was to clean the windscreen with meths, car washes with wax mess up the sensors reading the amount of water on the screen - try it.

the reason I didn't put auto wipers on my car, was that sometimes, if there's just a few drops of rain, you DON'T want the wipers to do their stuff, as you know that bug splat will go right across the windscreen and not leave until you clean it yourself.

but I thought the whole point of 'auto-sensors' was so that you don't have to switch the wipers on or off... if you start switching the auto-sensor on and off, you might as well not of bothered fitting it... surely?

that is the idea, yes. However if you wanted them to automatically adjust to the conditions (faster and slower) but not smear you bugs then you could switch it on manually.

[ QUOTE ]
So leave it in manual mode. Change it to automatic when it starts to rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi don't do true manual modes....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

what if you keep the wipers bouncing off the scuttle panel?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

what if you keep the wipers bouncing off the scuttle panel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having a really baaaaaaad day, but you two guys have just cheered me up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You're following me now, aren't you...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You're following me now, aren't you...

[/ QUOTE ]

just wait till you get home...

heeeeeerreeees japper.....

be afraid... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I almost put something to the effect of "leave it Bowf" but didn't think you'd bite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just have to hear the word 'manual' and I start sweating like an Israeli bus driver,so I'll always bite !

I thought I'd like the auto-wipers, but they seem to be problematic. Driving on the A1 at the weekend I simply couldn't get them to wipe frequently enough. Rain too light for on all the time, but auto-wipe was too infrequent - most annoying!

I think I end up playing with the settings lever more than I did with manual wipe control! One thing I have noticed is that if I move the switch all the way to the left and back to the right then it sometimes seems to 'reset' itself and start wiping more frequently. However, I think this is probably just my imagination...

[ QUOTE ]
And you're right, it doesn't work when you're stopped, which can be a right pain in the backside when queued at a roundabout and the whole world turns Atlantis on yer ***.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for re-posting this, but it's just too funny!

Thanks for a good laugh Eeef, and please don't get p**ed off if you see me using your line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif