Anyone successfully removed scratches from Piano Black Grille Surround?

A3Kent

Reaction score
As per Title really, i've noticed the Black Glossy Surround on my A3 has some very fine scatches to it and I wanted to polish them out if possible. I've done a bit of looking and Novus 2 seems to be mentioned a lot? so was going to try this out - Novus plastic polish 1, 2 & 3, acrylic scratch remover, excellent on fish tanks! | eBay

Anyone else been succesfull with this or any other product in trying to remove scratches from the glossy surround (chrome or black I guess) on their front grille?

Thank you

I've used Past-x with great success on the piano black inlays inside my BE A3 (Ashtray, door inserts, gear stick surround, clocks etc.) It works very well on plastics where the scratched surface is not painted. I'm not sure how they make the grille surround black, but its probably a coating of some sort so Plast-x may damage/remove the coating. I would think the same applies if the grille surround was chrome, as this is most likely electro-plated plastic which will be damaged by any abrasive (which Plast-X is...)

Maybe try a bit on top of the grille where its hidden by the bonnet?

Easy to get rid of especially with a DA polisher and a small head. I do all the gloss surrounds on Audis when I detail them. Its the same as doing a bodypanel really just quicker and you can seal them. They come out really well too. Any kind of polish will do.

Reactions: big harty
Thanks for the replies guys. I used Autoglym super resin polish as I had some in the garage and that's appeared to improve things although still not perfect. Happy enough though. I guess one of the special plastic polish would do a better job.

Audi do a plastic polish which is very good tbh as I've removed allot of scratches on trims with this with fantastic results, G3 also works as long as you make sure it stays wet, then buff of.

I've done this before using Swissvax mechanical paint repair mixed with a bit of dodo juice lime prime light. I then finished off with xeropol scratch remover and polished out with megs. Not saying buy all these items but if you have certain things to hand already you can mix them up a bit to get the same if not better result than plastic-x