Higher wattage bulbs

Chris-gsxr

Reaction score
I've heard the horror stories about higher wattage bulbs, potentially causing fire or melting the headlight. Are higher watt bulbs really a big no no?
I've upgraded the head light bulbs but they are still not as bright as I was hoping for. Ive heard the more expensive Bulbs aren't all that Amazing either so What's everyone's opinion on higher wattage? dose anyone use them in their car, if so any problems?

09 A3 sline

I've heard the horror stories about higher wattage bulbs, potentially causing fire or melting the headlight. Are higher watt bulbs really a big no no? I've upgraded the head light bulbs but they are still not as bright as I was hoping for. Ive heard the more expensive Bulbs aren't all that Amazing either so What's everyone's opinion on higher wattage? dose anyone use them in their car, if so any problems? 09 A3 sline
i have a 09 sline and have 80 watt bulbs for dipped beam and i have had no problems.

Anything over 55 watts is illegal for road use in UK.

Despite what is said about 'no problems', the wiring circuit is designed for 55 watt bulbs and a 45% increase in current load to 80 watts is unsafe. Also the increase in heat generated puts the plastic reflector in danger of melting.

However, it is of course, your choice !

Big no no. Used them on my old car, melted the connectors, inside the head unit and cracked the headlight lenses.