dsg comparisons

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...no one is being forced to read this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but you know what it's like when you see that new message icon....It's like putting a paedo in a school and telling him not to touch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef, risque but very funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Boring....the DSG is an automatic transmission. If you want a manual or get a buzz out of stirring the cogs for some reason whilst screwing the nuts of your motor (why?) then an Auto isn't for you.

The whole transmission thing moving rapidly; manual gearboxes have remained more or less basically the same for a good 50 years. Auto boxes evolved slowly until automotive electronics came of age around 10-15 years ago. Now an Auto can be as efficient as a manual with similar are even better performance.

BTW the concept of the DSG and the zero drive loss when shifting gear ratios is actually a pre-war idea......the materials technology wasn't there then to make it viable.

Stop all the bitching guys - it is exceeding dull for the rest of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Me too, I had stopped reading anything on this forum with DSG in the subject line, not wishing to flame you Bowfer but what exactly gave you the idea that a car without a clutch would be in your opinion, as good as a car with one?! ?!?!?!?!?!

Just got back from the Lake district, 700 miles of awesome twisty, fast sweeping, quick dual carriageways and of course the M6 - wouldnt want any other gearbox!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Me too, I had stopped reading anything on this forum with DSG in the subject line, not wishing to flame you Bowfer but what exactly gave you the idea that a car without a clutch would be in your opinion, as good as a car with one?! ?!?!?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.
I expected manual mode to mean manual mode,not be a complete lie.

If it truly were manual mode,I'd probably be a happy owner.

[ QUOTE ]
y
a
w
n

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.... even though I do agree with bowfer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm now that would be annoying - Audi just extended the 'Tiptronic' concept of automatic transmission override to another gearbox family (DSG) - thats it, no more and no less. I guess the clever marketing just tipped you over the edge?

I won't have anything other than an Auto now - I quite literally wore my left knee out with over 870,000 miles in a ten year period. The surgery hurt (lots). I won't be going there again, accept it as an Auto and enjoy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you often drive a manual bouncing off of the rev limiter or driving up to a roundabout in 6th?!?

sheesh

anyway, back to the thread - does everyone elses DSG seem lumpy when in manual and in slow moving traffic? If its in D mine is as smooth as a babies backside, if in manual then its like a learner driver, or is there something I should be doing?

Mine is definitely smoother in slow moving traffic in D than manual. I generally drive in manual mode most of the time, but I always click it across into D when in slow moving traffic.

Thats what I like about the DSG - you can choose which mode you prefer for a given situation.

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, back to the thread - does everyone elses DSG seem lumpy when in manual and in slow moving traffic? If its in D mine is as smooth as a babies backside, if in manual then its like a learner driver, or is there something I should be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen very carefully to the car in 1st - are there any noises? Is there a grinding, whining noise if you accelerate to about 3000rpm in first then change to second after the change for about 1-2 seconds?

If so, thats how my DSG was and its a problem with the clutch(es) - mine is so lumpy and not smooth at all in 1st it's not funny. It has even stalled on occasions.....

I am very sorry but on mine the DSG is not lumpy at all.Round town in D mode it is smooth and in Manual mode there is no problem at all.

But I am in the new SFG 3 Door 3.2 V6 (which they may have update the software) and I do not known what the 2.0 FSI and the 2.0 tDI is like.

[ QUOTE ]
I am very sorry but on mine the DSG is not lumpy at all.Round town in D mode it is smooth and in Manual mode there is no problem at all.

But I am in the new SFG 3 Door 3.2 V6 (which they may have update the software) and I do not known what the 2.0 FSI and the 2.0 tDI is like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was smooth at first, but started to get a bit jerky, which got progressively worse, then this odd noise started at which point I took it in to Audi who have confirmed that it needs new clutch packs etc etc.

Apparently there is a software upgrade for the DSG box in my car to correct a stalling when manoeuvering(sp) problem, but I got this info from this forum and the dealer has not mentioned it, even though I have said that the car has stalled on a number of occasions....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My DSG has always been jerky in manual mode in slow moving traffic.
It is,as you say,like a learner driver with poor clutch control.
When you come off the throttle,it jerks (in a manual you would press the clutch as you release the throttle to stop the jerk).
I always use D in slow traffic to avoid the jerking.

I agree that generally DSG is more jerky in manual as apposed to D in slow traffic. However I have noticed that using the stick rather than paddles improves this considerably.

I agree LeMan. When I'm in traffic I always use D because, as much as anything else, I tend to click it forward into N when I'm actually stooped rather than blind the driver behind with my brake lights.

I always used to hate it when people did that to me and I now I try not to do it to others.

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to use manual in slow traffic anyway?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thought I had, wouldn't you be thinking "thank goodness i bought an automatic"?

Or would you be dreaming of a knob (gear)...........

[ QUOTE ]
I agree LeMan. When I'm in traffic I always use D because, as much as anything else, I tend to click it forward into N when I'm actually stooped rather than blind the driver behind with my brake lights.

I always used to hate it when people did that to me and I now I try not to do it to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus it stops you warping your discs

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to use manual in slow traffic anyway?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,but that's making excuses for a shortcoming.
It doesn't matter which mode it's in,it shouldn't jerk like Douglas Badder is driving,should it ?

Why is it a shortcoming.
It's a crossover gearbox and as such should be treated like one. Use the paddles for performance driving and the auto mode for when you want to be lazy.

I'm sure D mode isn't great for performance driving, just like the paddles aren't suited for slow traffic.

I thought it was only bowfer who dreamed about gear knobs....

I do tend to use D when in traffic, just sometimes when up for a hack on the way home from work i forget and its a bit lumpy at the two annoying roundabouts on the A1 that people seem to queue at for no reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But LeMan - totally agree, manual in traffic is pointless! which is why i soon switch it back to D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif