Badger5JMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

VNT clean on PD170 help - Mr. Muscle method

Just wondering if anyones successfully done this on the PD170? After reading the threads for the b5 and b6 a4's with the 1.9 and 2.5 tdi lumps I've been wanting to do this with mine.

I know for sure its the case that the vanes aren't free to move properly, i'm getting overboost and limp mode in 3rd 4th or 5th if im over 3000rpm with my foot down. Under 3k the car still pulls well, after that it feels like its struggling as if the DPF is blocking up (which was my initial thought as to what the problem was, but after a long drive it was no better). I've also played around with the actuator to get it moving a bit more freely and the car instantly responded better but after about 20 miles or so it was back to normal.

My problem with this method is the following, on the guides for the B5 and B6 engines the turbo is mounted lower than the exhaust manifold. Whereas (at least im fairly certain) on the PD170 and most likely the PD140 too, the turbo is mounted above the exhaust manifold. So am i right in saying that if i was to put mr. muscle in, it would leak down into the exhaust manifold and potentially into the engine too? And as mentioned in those threads it's only safe to use on the cast iron (Exhaust side) of the turbo and nothing else.

I really don't fancy trying to take the turbo off myself, seems like a hell of a job. Does anyone have any other (cheap) suggestions if this is definately not an option?

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The only sure fire way of getting them clean is to remove, strip, clean & refit, Mr Muscle is a temp job that may not even work or for long, so I would do it properly or you could be back to square one in a month or so.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Agree with NHN, even then, stripping down the exhaust side of the turbo has plenty of scope for error if you don't know what you are doing.

If I was that far in and the car has done any kind of mileage, given that the PD170 is a proper c*ck on to remove the turbo on in terms of removing the DPF I would be replacing the turbo with a recon unit.

In summary - Don't waste your time just replace the turbo, after that stop driving like Miss Daisy and the VNT problems will go away.

4th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Agree with NHN, even then, stripping down the exhaust side of the turbo has plenty of scope for error if you don't know what you are doing.

If I was that far in and the car has done any kind of mileage, given that the PD170 is a proper c*ck on to remove the turbo on in terms of removing the DPF I would be replacing the turbo with a recon unit.

In summary - Don't waste your time just replace the turbo, after that stop driving like Miss Daisy and the VNT problems will go away.
    Thats just it, i have lead foot syndrome but the problem still came about. The turbos been changed once before by the previous owner so im not certain that its definitely in need of a change. I do understand where ur coming from but i dont think its necessary to change it completely seeing as the rest of it is still ok.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

6th Gear

Status
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

6th Gear

Status
    Nick from R-Tech has some youtoob vids that may be helpful (their based on the MK4 Golf TDI so should be similar I imagine).

Failing that, if you're not too far away from him (Hinckley, Leicestershire), let him do the work for you.

Imteyaz.

4th Gear

Status

Seen these videos already thanks. If i could get the turbo off easily enough id definitely be cleaning it myself but as mentioned by before its not the easiest thing to do on this car. And hinckleys about 100 miles from me
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    VCDS User

4th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by tdi-man View Post
    Havent come across this yet but if its as bad as i think it is its gonna take some serious cleaning power to help shift it. Will look into it some more tho, cheers mate
    VCDS User

6th Gear

Status
    wynns is normally good stuff to use i was thinking of doing mine say once a year
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)