Diagnostic results of steering issue...Can anyone makes sense of it for me??

Conormalone

Reaction score
Alright, so I got a red steering light and a yellow ESP light when I replaced my battery and it wouldn't go away.
No I've followed the ross tech guide and tried a steering limit stop and such. I've also tried turning my wheels to the left and right and going straight forward and nothing, lights are still there.

Got the faults codes below, it'd be awesome if anyone could help me on what I should do?

Stuck!

02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 6160 km
Temperature: 18.0°
Voltage: 13.90 V
Voltage: 13.70 V

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 6160 km
Count: 1
Steering Angle: 0.00°

Thanks!

Is your steering wheel on straight? have you had a wheel alignment recently? has the steering wheel been off for any reason?

<tuffty/>

Yeah it was aligned a couple months ago. And the steering was centered until I rest the battery and when the wheels are straight it's a few degrees to the right

The steering needs to straight as there is a sensor in the column assembly that is used for the ESP system... whoever aligned the wheels should have sorted this so it wasn't an issue... you need to take it back to them and explain the situation or it means you may have to try and remove the steering wheel, realign the sensor and refit the steering wheel a couple of splines over...

<tuffty/>

I also had an ABS sensor on my rear left show up as faulty which I didn't think to include.

Now would it be correct to think that it might not be adapting because the battery was disconnected whilst their was an ABS sensor fault?

Its all interlinked... fix one fault at a time... the other faults could be symptomatic of the steering issues...

I would get the steering sensor issue sorted first then take it from there... I believe if the sensor faults like this there is an adaption period.. this might actually be what you are experiencing tbh... (had a similar issue on another car once before but didn't make the connection)...

What car is this exactly? mileage looks low...

<tuffty/>

We'll I had the ABS issue on the back left (no other faults at this time). Then I gave it a clean and while I was at it, swapped a battery which I had been putting off. Everything turns on and the red steering light is there along with the sensor issue. And it looks like it hasn't adapted and refuses to as there is an ABS sensor fault. That's just my logic, don't know how right it is.

I'll start with the sensor and the realignment, see where that gets me.

And that's another thing that confused me...it's a 2004 A3 TDI 140 with 97,000 on the clock and it's showing a reading on the fault at 6700 and the ECU is actually showing the right mileage with everything else.

These cars are a burden and a joy.

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1K2 909 144 E
Component and/or Version: EPS_ZFLS Kl.10 1202
Software Coding: 0000000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000 000 00000

Is there meant to be that many zeros?