Tyres

I dont see the point in spending alot of money on Decent tyres.

Budget tyres have come on a long way!

Thats a personal view, with high torque you will just rip any tyre to bits...

Hankooks aint bad ( they sponsor the DTM) ... or Avon ZV5's are a good all round tyre. There was brand new Linglong tyres on the fronts of the S3 we recently bought, with worn Michelins on the rear, all 4 tyres replaced with Avon ZV5's

the Linglong tyres seem to get a good write up as well if you google them, came 4th in a big tyre write up, shocked better known makes as well. I think the Chinese bought the tooling from a tyre maker who was changing their tyre production line

The fact the top brands outperform the budget stuff in every tyre test; they grip better, stop better, perform better in wet conditions.....

Also remember what keeps you on the road

IMO I don't understand the logic in skimping on something which is your only contact point between you and the road.

I had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my 18's; they lasted over 15,000 miles and performed well in all conditions. They were approx £100 per corner. Before that I had Falken's which were approx £70 per corner and the complete set lasted less than 9,000 miles.....they were by far and away the WORST tyre I've ever fitted to a car

The fact the top brands outperform the budget stuff in every tyre test; they grip better, stop better, perform better in wet conditions.....

IMO I don't understand the logic in skimping on something which is your only contact point between you and the road.

I had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my 18's; they lasted over 15,000 miles and performed well in all conditions. They were approx £100 per corner. Before that I had Falken's which were approx £70 per corner and the complete set lasted less than 9,000 miles.....they were by far and away the WORST tyre I've ever fitted to a car

Granted, but some high end budget tyres are made in exactly the same shop/conditions as the Higher branded ones. This can be related to Coilovers aswell as i am aware the same happens with FK and other TOP brands.

I agree! Budget tyres might be better now then a few years ago, but the top brands still perform better, look at the tests! There are quite a few brands that are good and not that expensive.

How often do you use your car? And to what? Different tyres are good for different things... :icon_thumright:

Feel free to scrimp on tyres if you like, each to their own, but I will laugh at you getting pulled out
of a hedge on the outside of a damp corner as I go screaming passed with my Michelin PS2's on :)

Budget tyres are a lot better than they used to be but if your driving a decent car you at least want a decent mid range tyre.

I see some Audi's now are coming with Toyo's on them!

Sales guy would be getting the car right back if I had bought a spanking car and they came on it!

Gladly my S3 came with Michelin Pilot exalto 2's from new and they were still only half worn when I bought the car.

The argument that cheap tyres are getting better has been around for years and in my experience they just haven't.We bought an old van recently, weren't sure we were keeping it but it needed tyres and we fell into what I see and the age old trap. We bought 4 Infinity's, great recommendations from tyre sellers and some good seme bad on teh internet, had them 2 weeks and all 4 had cracked on the sidewalls. We got refunded but only after we had bought yet another set of tyres but overall I have to say it just isn't worth it. Does anyone have the time to check their tyres daily, I certainly don't.

I agree, I've passed this "insider knowledge" onto all the F1 and MotoGP teams... oooh the money they waste on pointless tyres...

tut tut...

/sarcasm

Have to agree with the majority here, buy the best you can afford. Baffles me that people buy a £6000+ car and put £50-£60 a corner tyres on it. Why scrimp on the most important thing on the car?

Anyway, back on topic, I've only heard good things about Michelin PS2's and PE2's so they may be worth looking into.

Toyo R888's! if you're running budgets tyres on an S3 8P you most certainly don't deserve to own one imo

Everyone is going to hate me for saying this but I run Falken FK452s by choice, on my S3 and on my TT, I have had Bridhestones (awful) and Pirelli Pzeros and hated them, for me it wasnt the price it was just preference.

I know the Conti Sport Contact 5s are supposed to be good so might try these next

I know the Conti Sport Contact 5s are supposed to be good so might try these next

Where have you heard that they are standard in the RS3 and I find they are total crap. Most people change them as soon as possible

I loved the Falken 451's, and I like the falken 452's as well although not as much.

Avon ZZ3 are my current choice.

Being cheap on tyres is as bad as being cheap on brakes listen to the recommendations and follow one of them

R888's for road use?!?!

i'm a tyre fitter myself and they are head and shoulders above anything else for performance both in both the dry and wet imo, the downside is the price, they are also alot noisier than a 'normal' road tyre and that they expire after about 3000miles.. so long story short you need deep pockets :ermm:

i'm a tyre fitter myself and they are head and shoulders above anything else for performance both in both the dry and wet imo, the downside is the price, they are also alot noisier than a 'normal' road tyre and that they expire after about 3000miles.. so long story short you need deep pockets :ermm:

Never heard anyone use them on the road, maybe because of the expense.

How'd they perform when they're not warm and in the wet? Also, I'd imagine the Police would think they were bald tyres if they saw them, unless they're know about cars.

They are still very good in the damp once warm but standing water is a nightmare as you can imagine!

Have to agree with the majority here, buy the best you can afford. Baffles me that people buy a £6000+ car and put £50-£60 a corner tyres on it. Why scrimp on the most important thing on the car?

Anyway, back on topic, I've only heard good things about Michelin PS2's and PE2's so they may be worth looking into.

+1

bloke at work has a nice white seat leon fr, yet puts budget tyres on his car :asskicking:

i've heard alot of good things and reviews on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's that's what i'm going for next!

Never heard anyone use them on the road, maybe because of the expense. How'd they perform when they're not warm and in the wet? Also, I'd imagine the Police would think they were bald tyres if they saw them, unless they're know about cars.
Utterly pointless on a wet road,just like their slightly more Uk friendly R1Rs.....on a dry road,with the compound nice and hot,it will be a completely different matter,but pushing on with a set of R888's in the rain would be asking for trouble,both before and after the inevitable happens.

Feel free to scrimp on tyres if you like, each to their own, but I will laugh at you getting pulled out
of a hedge on the outside of a damp corner as I go screaming passed with my Michelin PS2's on :)

Budget tyres are a lot better than they used to be but if your driving a decent car you at least want a decent mid range tyre.

I see some Audi's now are coming with Toyo's on them!

Sales guy would be getting the car right back if I had bought a spanking car and they came on it!

Gladly my S3 came with Michelin Pilot exalto 2's from new and they were still only half worn when I bought the car.

Whats wrong with Toyos? Last set i had stuck like $hit on a hairy blanket!
Suffered a short life span tho, but otherwise good!

I always buy mine depending on the wet weather performance (Living where you are I'm sure you'll appreciate) & pretty much gone for Michelin, Toyo, or Goodyear F1's.

If you consider the contact patch at a maximum on high performance cars is only around 12" square, tyres are not something I would skimp on.

Past experience = Kwikfit pikey brand.. Dangerous
Falkens.. Ok but very skittish in the wet
Oddly, Pirelli's not great in the wet either...