JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Tyres

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stockport/ Manchester
    Posts
    55

    Tyres

    Bridgestone Potenza's 88Y or 92Y?

    or any other tyres?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Jonathaan's Avatar
    Diesel Power!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    I dont see the point in spending alot of money on Decent tyres.

    Budget tyres have come on a long way!

    Thats a personal view, with high torque you will just rip any tyre to bits...

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stockport/ Manchester
    Posts
    55
    Fair point. Any particular budget tyre you recommend?

  5. #4
    quattrokid's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ayrshire Scotland U.K
    Posts
    219
    Hankooks aint bad ( they sponsor the DTM) ... or Avon ZV5's are a good all round tyre. There was brand new Linglong tyres on the fronts of the S3 we recently bought, with worn Michelins on the rear, all 4 tyres replaced with Avon ZV5's

    the Linglong tyres seem to get a good write up as well if you google them, came 4th in a big tyre write up, shocked better known makes as well. I think the Chinese bought the tooling from a tyre maker who was changing their tyre production line
    WR quattro
    B5 RS4
    100 S4 SALOON AUTO
    S3

  6. #5
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathaan View Post
    I dont see the point in spending alot of money on Decent tyres.

    Budget tyres have come on a long way!

    Thats a personal view, with high torque you will just rip any tyre to bits...
    The fact the top brands outperform the budget stuff in every tyre test; they grip better, stop better, perform better in wet conditions.....

    Also remember what keeps you on the road

    IMO I don't understand the logic in skimping on something which is your only contact point between you and the road.

    I had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my 18's; they lasted over 15,000 miles and performed well in all conditions. They were approx £100 per corner. Before that I had Falken's which were approx £70 per corner and the complete set lasted less than 9,000 miles.....they were by far and away the WORST tyre I've ever fitted to a car
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stockport/ Manchester
    Posts
    55
    Thanks

  8. #7
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by A3KevB View Post
    Bridgestone Potenza's 88Y or 92Y?

    or any other tyres?
    225/40 R18 92Y

    Bridgestones are noisy, lasted ok, wet grip rubbish.

    Michelin, Conti, Goodyear. All very good.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  9. #8
    Jonathaan's Avatar
    Diesel Power!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    The fact the top brands outperform the budget stuff in every tyre test; they grip better, stop better, perform better in wet conditions.....

    Also remember what keeps you on the road

    IMO I don't understand the logic in skimping on something which is your only contact point between you and the road.

    I had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my 18's; they lasted over 15,000 miles and performed well in all conditions. They were approx £100 per corner. Before that I had Falken's which were approx £70 per corner and the complete set lasted less than 9,000 miles.....they were by far and away the WORST tyre I've ever fitted to a car
    Granted, but some high end budget tyres are made in exactly the same shop/conditions as the Higher branded ones. This can be related to Coilovers aswell as i am aware the same happens with FK and other TOP brands.

  10. #9
    rezulteo's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    224

    My Social Networking

    Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    The fact the top brands outperform the budget stuff in every tyre test; they grip better, stop better, perform better in wet conditions.....

    Also remember what keeps you on the road

    IMO I don't understand the logic in skimping on something which is your only contact point between you and the road.
    I agree! Budget tyres might be better now then a few years ago, but the top brands still perform better, look at the tests! There are quite a few brands that are good and not that expensive.

    How often do you use your car? And to what? Different tyres are good for different things...
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

  11. #10
    crunchie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    865
    Feel free to scrimp on tyres if you like, each to their own, but I will laugh at you getting pulled out
    of a hedge on the outside of a damp corner as I go screaming passed with my Michelin PS2's on :-)

    Budget tyres are a lot better than they used to be but if your driving a decent car you at least want a decent mid range tyre.

    I see some Audi's now are coming with Toyo's on them!

    Sales guy would be getting the car right back if I had bought a spanking car and they came on it!

    Gladly my S3 came with Michelin Pilot exalto 2's from new and they were still only half worn when I bought the car.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v


    Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

  12. #11
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Borders, Scotland
    Posts
    404
    The argument that cheap tyres are getting better has been around for years and in my experience they just haven't.We bought an old van recently, weren't sure we were keeping it but it needed tyres and we fell into what I see and the age old trap. We bought 4 Infinity's, great recommendations from tyre sellers and some good seme bad on teh internet, had them 2 weeks and all 4 had cracked on the sidewalls. We got refunded but only after we had bought yet another set of tyres but overall I have to say it just isn't worth it. Does anyone have the time to check their tyres daily, I certainly don't.

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathaan View Post
    I dont see the point in spending alot of money on Decent tyres.

    Budget tyres have come on a long way!

    Thats a personal view, with high torque you will just rip any tyre to bits...
    I agree, I've passed this "insider knowledge" onto all the F1 and MotoGP teams... oooh the money they waste on pointless tyres...

    tut tut...

    /sarcasm

  14. #13
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,167

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Have to agree with the majority here, buy the best you can afford. Baffles me that people buy a £6000+ car and put £50-£60 a corner tyres on it. Why scrimp on the most important thing on the car?

    Anyway, back on topic, I've only heard good things about Michelin PS2's and PE2's so they may be worth looking into.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  15. #14
    ahitchkins's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    58

    Tyres

    Toyo R888's! if you're running budgets tyres on an S3 8P you most certainly don't deserve to own one imo
    Ibis White S3 8P
    Mods; Forge Twintake - Forge Highflow Dumpvalve

  16. #15
    jaydav2306's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Everyone is going to hate me for saying this but I run Falken FK452s by choice, on my S3 and on my TT, I have had Bridhestones (awful) and Pirelli Pzeros and hated them, for me it wasnt the price it was just preference.
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

  17. #16
    jaydav2306's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    I know the Conti Sport Contact 5s are supposed to be good so might try these next
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

  18. #17
    A3simon's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    980

    Tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    I know the Conti Sport Contact 5s are supposed to be good so might try these next
    Where have you heard that they are standard in the RS3 and I find they are total crap. Most people change them as soon as possible


    2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

  19. #18
    crunchie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    I run Falken FK452s by choice
    F**ken is a swear word in my house!
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v


    Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

  20. #19
    Danny-boy's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    477

    Tyres

    I loved the Falken 451's, and I like the falken 452's as well although not as much.

    Avon ZZ3 are my current choice.

  21. #20
    Yiddogaz's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    31

    Tyres

    Being cheap on tyres is as bad as being cheap on brakes listen to the recommendations and follow one of them

  22. #21
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,167

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitchkins View Post
    Toyo R888's! if you're running budgets tyres on an S3 8P you most certainly don't deserve to own one imo
    R888's for road use?!?!
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  23. #22
    ahitchkins's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    R888's for road use?!?!
    i'm a tyre fitter myself and they are head and shoulders above anything else for performance both in both the dry and wet imo, the downside is the price, they are also alot noisier than a 'normal' road tyre and that they expire after about 3000miles.. so long story short you need deep pockets

  24. #23
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,167

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitchkins View Post
    i'm a tyre fitter myself and they are head and shoulders above anything else for performance both in both the dry and wet imo, the downside is the price, they are also alot noisier than a 'normal' road tyre and that they expire after about 3000miles.. so long story short you need deep pockets
    Never heard anyone use them on the road, maybe because of the expense.

    How'd they perform when they're not warm and in the wet? Also, I'd imagine the Police would think they were bald tyres if they saw them, unless they're know about cars.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  25. #24
    crunchie's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Inverness
    Posts
    865
    They are still very good in the damp once warm but standing water is a nightmare as you can imagine!
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v


    Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

  26. #25
    Neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    Have to agree with the majority here, buy the best you can afford. Baffles me that people buy a £6000+ car and put £50-£60 a corner tyres on it. Why scrimp on the most important thing on the car?

    Anyway, back on topic, I've only heard good things about Michelin PS2's and PE2's so they may be worth looking into.
    +1

    bloke at work has a nice white seat leon fr, yet puts budget tyres on his car

    i've heard alot of good things and reviews on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's that's what i'm going for next!

  27. #26
    rezulteo's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    224

    My Social Networking

    Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by A3KevB View Post
    Thanks
    have you decided which tyres you're gonna get?
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

  28. #27
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stockport/ Manchester
    Posts
    55
    Possibly the eagle f1's but not gona rush in to it

  29. #28
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,300
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    Never heard anyone use them on the road, maybe because of the expense. How'd they perform when they're not warm and in the wet? Also, I'd imagine the Police would think they were bald tyres if they saw them, unless they're know about cars.
    Utterly pointless on a wet road,just like their slightly more Uk friendly R1Rs.....on a dry road,with the compound nice and hot,it will be a completely different matter,but pushing on with a set of R888's in the rain would be asking for trouble,both before and after the inevitable happens.

  30. #29
    S3quatt's Avatar
    Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sunny Scotland
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    Feel free to scrimp on tyres if you like, each to their own, but I will laugh at you getting pulled out
    of a hedge on the outside of a damp corner as I go screaming passed with my Michelin PS2's on :-)

    Budget tyres are a lot better than they used to be but if your driving a decent car you at least want a decent mid range tyre.

    I see some Audi's now are coming with Toyo's on them!

    Sales guy would be getting the car right back if I had bought a spanking car and they came on it!

    Gladly my S3 came with Michelin Pilot exalto 2's from new and they were still only half worn when I bought the car.
    Whats wrong with Toyos? Last set i had stuck like $hit on a hairy blanket!
    Suffered a short life span tho, but otherwise good!

    I always buy mine depending on the wet weather performance (Living where you are I'm sure you'll appreciate) & pretty much gone for Michelin, Toyo, or Goodyear F1's.

    If you consider the contact patch at a maximum on high performance cars is only around 12" square, tyres are not something I would skimp on.

    Past experience = Kwikfit pikey brand.. Dangerous
    Falkens.. Ok but very skittish in the wet
    Oddly, Pirelli's not great in the wet either...
    ...... Now this one's MUCH better!...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. TYRE WEAR - ONE TYRE ONLY -SEVERE!!
    By fraz in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th April 2003, 09:18
  2. MOVED: TYRE WEAR - ONE TYRE ONLY -SEVERE!!
    By fraz in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th March 2003, 12:18
  3. What tyres for my S3 ??
    By sidicks in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 14th March 2003, 15:54
  4. bumps in tyres
    By phloat in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th February 2003, 09:08
  5. Tyres?
    By Moresauce in forum Other Brands & Models
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 16th January 2003, 19:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO