2005-2012 Double din conversion

JPK

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of threads on this but need some help with specifics. Really appreciate any help as im in NZ so cant get NHN to pop over unfortunately! Wrecked A3s are non existent here so am buying all parts out of the UK and Germany; therefore its essential I don't stuff up the part numbers. We are of course RHD here and with the exception of the speedo, the car is relatively identical to UK spec.

I have this:
Audi a3 2tdi sport 6 speed manual 2005 johannesburg city gauteng 96893337991396302

I want this:

My questions are:

1. Double din cage: What part numbers will work, taking into account I want the 'hazard button strip' with the chrome strip top and bottom?

2. 'Chrome Hazard button strip': Is there anything I need to be aware of here? I noticed there is an airbag off switch which I presume would just be a dead button? Is there any plugs I need to change or wires that need to be spliced etc for the ESP and hazard switches? There seems to be a few variations/part numbers of this also.

3. Climate unit. I have purchased an 8P3 facelift climate so I can cannibalise the dials from it and im about to buy a double din pre facelift 8P2 unit. If I buy a pre facelift unit with the heated seat option (i don't have heated seats) can I use this unit with the heated seat buttons not functioning? The reason being I've found one thats nice and cheap.

4. Concert. I want one similar to this with chrome dials and prefer MP3. I have a concert single din with 10 speakers + sub so I must get the Concert double din, not the Chorus? I really have no use for an RNSE as I dont spend a lot of time in the car. Is there anything I need to be aware of when purchasing, obviously buying one with a code is essential?
I understand from another thread that NHN posted in that there will be an issue with radio reception. I can live with that if there isn't an easy/cheap fix. Is there any part numbers (perhaps an earlier model) of the above that will fit and avoid the reception issues?
Is a can gateway upgrade required to avoid battery drain and any errors? I know this is the case when putting a MK6 RCD310/510 into a MK5 Golf so wondered if this is the same with the A3?
Is there any plugs/wires that need to be changed to fit the above stereo to my existing (single din) loom/plugs?

5. Last but not least, I will be purchasing a FBMFSW in the near future (but after the double din conversion). I dont currently have a MFSW. Is there anything I need to do whilst I have the dash apart to allow for the buttons to be functional when I get around to this?

Last edited:
Hi - unfortunately you are asking an awful lot of questions at one go which tends to put people off answering because they probably don't know all the answers !

I suggest you read this thread ( and any others that you can do a search for ) and then come back with your questions, maybe a couple at a time.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...le-din-double-din-conversion.html#post1763816

I know for a fact that post 2008 climate control units will not work on a 2005 car.

I also know that you will need a new steering module for mfsw and, of course, you will have to buy wheel and airbag because your existing airbag will not fit fbmfsw. The control module is under the steering column and does not need the dash off.

I know climate control will be works, U just need 2 same, one old and one new facelift . Both must be 2DIN, find electronics who will swap the front panel. Thats all.

Double din cage 8p0 858 005a
Generally U have 2 types, that one or other for manual climate control.
Cage for manual CC is diferent and will be no good 4 U

Last edited:
I know climate control will be works, U just need 2 same, one old and one new facelift . Both must be 2DIN, find electronics who will swap the front panel. Thats all.

Yes mate, I know you can swap the front plate over but I wanted him to be aware that the later version is not plug and play like some people assume it is !

There is a thread on changing the buttons over somewhere on here but you will also be aware that the buttons are different 'internally' and require a certain amount of Dremel type work to get them to fit ! The OP wants to get the 'new look' apparently !

I didnt buy a new climate. I just dremeled the edges to fit. Also i only bought the new switch fascia & altered all the other switched to fit. I did,nt need to buy new switches

Even my drinks holder fitted with a bit of modding

I didnt buy a new climate. I just dremeled the edges to fit. Also i only bought the new switch fascia & altered all the other switched to fit. I did,nt need to buy new switches

Even my drinks holder fitted with a bit of modding

That, of course, is the other method of doing it !! :icon_thumright:

double chrom if U want with exactly Your spec what U have now in the car is inposible to get on eBay. Only dealer
But double chrom frame is with different connectors, is not p&p but any smart electronic will fit that with no problems.

U can also get single chrom, butons at p&p and later swap only frame to double chrome. I do that in my car. All buttons at separate, in future if U ad for example park asist U can swap only one button not whole frame.

Last edited:
These are the main questions I need answers to. The others ive basically figured out.

3. Climate unit. I have purchased an 8P3 facelift climate so I can cannibalise the dials from it and im about to buy a double din pre facelift 8P2 unit. If I buy a pre facelift unit with the heated seat option (i don't have heated seats) can I use this unit with the heated seat buttons not functioning? The reason being I've found one thats nice and cheap.

4. Concert. I want one similar to this with chrome dials and prefer MP3. I have a concert single din with 10 speakers + sub so I must get the Concert double din, not the Chorus? I really have no use for an RNSE as I dont spend a lot of time in the car. Is there anything I need to be aware of when purchasing, obviously buying one with a code is essential?

I understand from another thread that NHN posted in that there will be an issue with radio reception. I can live with that if there isn't an easy/cheap fix. Is there any part numbers (perhaps an earlier model) of the above that will fit and avoid the reception issues?
Is a can gateway upgrade required to avoid battery drain and any errors? I know this is the case when putting a MK6 RCD310/510 into a MK5 Golf so wondered if this is the same with the A3?
Is there any plugs/wires that need to be changed to fit the above stereo to my existing (single din) loom/plugs?

5. Last but not least, I will be purchasing a FBMFSW in the near future (but after the double din conversion). I dont currently have a MFSW. Is there anything I need to do whilst I have the dash apart to allow for the buttons to be functional when I get around to this?

These are the main questions I need answers to. The others ive basically figured out.

Did you read my post ? Have I not answered question 5 ?

Thank you. For clarification.. I presume that I wont need to change the wiring loom between the steering wheel control module and the back of the Concert stereo for multi function then? Just the controller as you have said?

Thank you. For clarification.. I presume that I wont need to change the wiring loom between the steering wheel control module and the back of the Concert stereo for multi function then? Just the controller as you have said?

Correct - you do not have to change the loom between the (new) module and the back of the radio.

Give me a shout if your still wanting the stereo parts.

I have the concert stereo, Manual and the two main antenna bits you'll need. These were taken from my 2009 car by NHN when RNSE was installed.

Good look with the install

1. Double din cage: What part numbers will work, taking into account I want the 'hazard button strip' with the chrome strip top and bottom?

Any 2Din cage, for 8P will work fine.

2. 'Chrome Hazard button strip': Is there anything I need to be aware of here? I noticed there is an airbag off switch which I presume would just be a dead button? Is there any plugs I need to change or wires that need to be spliced etc for the ESP and hazard switches? There seems to be a few variations/part numbers of this also.

There is a problem with this strip. You have a connector for hazard lights, a connector for ESP switch, a connector for... TPS.
The strip only has 2 connectors: one for hazard lights and one for everything else.
See here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/154975-retrofit-rnse-8p2-s3.html#post1561887

So, you need to join all the connections into a single one.

It will work just fine!

Another question. Noticed this eBay seller is staying there is completely different connectors on the later model Concert double din units. Is this correct? I wasn't aware of this. Any easy way around it?
AUDI A3 2008 MODEL 6 IN DASH MP3 CD CHANGER COMBO EXCELLENT | eBay

Excuse caps, I copied and pasted.

FITS A3 2007-8+

ALL LOOK SAME BUT HAVE DIFFERENT WIRING 07-8 CDS HAVE NEW QUODLOCK*WIRING* SQUARE SHAPED *

**** IMPORTANT THIS* MODEL DIFFERENT SHAPE TO EARLIER A3 ETC CARS PLEASE BE*SURE CORRECT MODEL FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE BUYING EARLIER CARS HAVE*ISO WIRING*2 ROWS*OF 8 PIN MALE AND TOP ROW 3 SETS SMALL MALE PINS *******************

Another question. Noticed this eBay seller is staying there is completely different connectors on the later model Concert double din units. Is this correct? I wasn't aware of this. Any easy way around it?
AUDI A3 2008 MODEL 6 IN DASH MP3 CD CHANGER COMBO EXCELLENT | eBay

Excuse caps, I copied and pasted.

You need to get an ISO to Quadlock conversion loom to connect the new unit to the old wiring.

Search on ebay and you will find dozens !

EDIT : like this :- AUDI A3 A4 A6 TT ALLROAD RNS-E P&P Adapter QUADLOCK - ISO FAKRA CHORUS CONCERT | eBay

Last edited: