My Brother's wiper knocking noise

Stev_A3

Reaction score
My brother has an 2005 A3 8P which has developed a problem with the wipers making a light knocking noise. Everytime the wiper blades return to the rest positon there seems to be a knocking noise and appears to be coming from the driver's side.

Have changed his wipers with mine and the same problem is there. Again have looked with the bonnet up and the blades and arm seem to sit well enough away from the scuttle panel. Annoying that we can't activate the wipers when the bonnet is up to really get a good look.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like that there may be some wear in the motor/linkage mechanism. Try wiggling the wiper arms on his and on yours and see if you can feel any difference. Note also that on the A3, the car often nudges the wipers blades into a different position when they return to their resting place. This is to prevent the rubber blades from getting 'set' one way over time. Clever that! Otherwise, stand outside the car and observe the blades when they park. If they move a little when the knocking is heard, then probably the motor is still seeking the rest position (a microswitch may be out of adjustment). Good luck.

Hi i had the same problem with 2 A3s ive had turned out to be the mechanism on both occasions was also told this was a recall issue

Has anybody been able to resolve this? I've just brought a A3 TDi 56 plate and I have this issue :(