Rain sensitive wipers

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with rain sensitive wipers.

I have them on my 2010 S3 Sportback and I don't quite get them:uhm:

I have them on max sensitivity setting but they don't work in light rain. The windscreen will fill up with droplets until I can't see anything and have to flick the sensitivity switch down then up. Not ideal when I'm trying to drive...

I've not had the car long (4 days) so I haven't used them in all types of rain but they work on all the other settings.

I've put them on auto and sprayed the hose pipe on the screen and they work just fine...

I've washed the screen with fairy liquid to remove any wax or film and I don't want to use rain X or what ever its called as I've heard that people have reported that this stuff has made things worse.

A little niggle on an awesome machine. Any help/advice would be welcome. Thanks

Ideally log into the rain sensor sub system of module 09 with vcds & see if it has a percentage you can change it to be more sensitive.

Has anyone had any issues with rain sensitive wipers.

I have them on my 2010 S3 Sportback and I don't quite get them:uhm:

I have them on max sensitivity setting but they don't work in light rain. The windscreen will fill up with droplets until I can't see anything and have to flick the sensitivity switch down then up. Not ideal when I'm trying to drive...

I've not had the car long (4 days) so I haven't used them in all types of rain but they work on all the other settings.

I've put them on auto and sprayed the hose pipe on the screen and they work just fine...

I've washed the screen with fairy liquid to remove any wax or film and I don't want to use rain X or what ever its called as I've heard that people have reported that this stuff has made things worse.

A little niggle on an awesome machine. Any help/advice would be welcome. Thanks

I found the same thing on my 57plate A3, coming from Peugeots that have had auto lights and wipers for the best part of a decade before i swapped to Audi, i think there set up is much better. I frequently have to turn my wipers on in rain which i never had to do in the Peugeot!

mmm a bit frustrating. Cheers NHN I'll look into that

Ok this is actually driving me nuts now. It was chucking it down today and the wipers were on max sensitivity and hardly came on at all. Couldn't see a thing!

Just had a look at the rear view mirror as I was thinking maybe the sensor behind it wasn't secured properly. I moved only slightly moved it and it made a bang and the plastic mounting came away from the windscreen. I've popped it back in place but this isn't right. Off to audi tomorrow I think :(

Just wondering if the screen is audi or repalcement as could be gel pack or screen isnt allowing the sensor to detect rain drops properly, got same problem here & I'm swapping screen out now as fedup, had it yesterday & today, I've changed my sensor & the gel pad iirc.

Right i've just found out that it has had a new windscreen and there are lines all across the gel pack. Off to audi now to see what they will do. did you replace the windscreen again?! How much for gel pack and sensor. I doubt it'll be covered by warranty

Gel pack is tenner & sensor is approx £176

Gel pack is tenner & sensor is approx £176

Say Whaa!? £176!? Well I've booked it in so hopefully its all covered by the warranty. I doubt it somehow. Will report back either way.

err. stupid question. What's the purpose and function of the 'gel pack' ? :think:

I think it holds the rain sensor in position against the screen...

Its a bush as such, it stops sensor moving freely & has a retaining clip on rear whilst still transmitting the vibrations through the pad to the sensor.

I find my rain sensor is too sensitive. Goes on to fast wipe every now and then when there's not much rain at all. I was going to check the gel pad but can't for the life of me see how to get the metal spring clip off without breaking/bending it. Anyone got an tips on that?

Update....

I have found out that the previous owner had the screen replaced with a non-audi one (not to avoid audi, just went through insurance)
Then he had problems with the rain sensor so took it to Stockport audi in sept 2012. They replaced the sensor and charged him £391. Not under covered by the warranty because of the non-audi screen. (I have the recipt for this and can prove the screen was replaced then the sensor.)

I took it to Shrewsbury Audi today and they say that the screen, sensor and gel pack all need replacing at a cost of £950 (ish... I was in shock) They also said that it would not be covered by them because the screen was not an Audi one. Interestingly they said they couldn't find a problem with the gel pack as... well it was missing. Stockport Audi han't put one in.

I argued that Audi should cover the cost as Stockport Audi had messed up last year.... So I've left it with Shrewsbury and Stockport Audi to sort and still its not fixed. At least I know whats wrong with it I guess.

I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on this. Should Audi sort this or will I be left with the bill? This car is becoming a bit of a money pit and I've only had it 14 days!!!

Also if you're having problems with your sensor check if you have a non audi windscreen as the tech said the sensors and non-audi windscreens do not mix....

Not that anyones bothered but it was the gel pack. Problem solved.

Reactions: CHEZ
Cool result. Hope the issue was paid for by Stockport.

the 'Non-Audi' screen would not have been an issue... i have had my screen replaced twice now both with non Audi screens and no issues with the sensors... may i add that i retrofitted the sensor myself so that excuse Audi used is total boll0cks

the 'Non-Audi' screen would not have been an issue...

That's not necessarily the case, I had an issue with mine, subsequently changed manufacturer from Pilkington to Guardian & haven't had 1 issue since & it really fecked me of everyday.

Several things affect the whole sensor system, the coating, adhesion, bracket, the actual thickness of the bracket, trust me I have looked at the system with old screen & also checked the new & there were some obvious differences between my 2, so it is pot luck IMHO as my experience has shown.

But, the gel pad also can affect, hence why audi use a special spray/cleaner before applying the pad, as it has to be clean/clear for the rain sensor to work properly, I had various issues, so wasn't just that.

I would still blame the installer for not fitting it correctly and not making sure everything is working fine. as for Audi trying to charge over £900 for this when it was a £10 part... Stealers! lol

Ok now the rear view mirror has fallen off. I found it hanging by the wires. The gel pack had fallen out too. Back to square one.
The bracket and all has come off the glass. Not going to waste my time by going back to Audi so going to get my local garage to do it.
Not quite sure how though. I think its just a case of getting rid of all the old adhesive, replacing the gel pack and sticking it back on. The only problem is that to get a good surface on the windscreen I need to pick all the old adhesive off (I think this is why it fell off. Audi clearly hadn't done this the last time it was in). I've tried a bit already and its pulling off the black film like stuff that hides the back of the mirror bracket (probably why they didn't do it) Any ideas without having to replace the windscreen??

Just replace the screen, I had a guardian version last time as opposed to the Pilkington & its been allot better since, the bracket was better to fix mirror too aswell.

As much as it annoys me I've booked it in for a new OEM windscreen next week. I think it comes with a sensor and bracket already attached. Audi quoted £1000 to do it it. Getting it done elsewhere for £500. Interestingly, I've been driving around for a week without a rear view mirror and found out that if the rain sensor on the windscreen isn't attached the wipers revert to standard intermittant setting. Also I think the rain sensor is also the sensor for the auto lights.

Come again, £500 are you sure, even the genuine audi at a windscreen company isn't that much, guess you didn't look to use your screen cover at all?

Yes rain/light sensor are the same component.

Yup, just had the bill - £480! Nice job though and seems to have sorted the problem. The genuine Audi on looks better than the one that was on it before too.

Yup, just had the bill - £480! Nice job though and seems to have sorted the problem. The genuine Audi on looks better than the one that was on it before too.

You paid £500 for this, you're mad, I paid £75 job done.

Is that what you say to all the boys :p

oooooooooo below the belt that one

made me laugh tho.

this made me laugh to

he windscreen will fill up with droplets until I can't see anything and have to flick the sensitivity switch down then up. Not ideal when I'm trying to drive...

seriously? can you not take that much effort to do it manually? cant be that strenuous to flick a switch lol

Reactions: NHN and wuta3
Oh come on, lol, read what you wrote & tell me you wouldnt do the same, lmao :p

The windscreen will fill up with droplets until I can't see anything and have to flick the sensitivity switch down then up. Not ideal when I'm trying to drive...

Best first-world problem I ever read. I don't even know where to start ... I ... but ... turning the windscreen wiper on is the least distracting action I can think of inside the car while driving except maybe breathing or looking.

I would have stuck one in there if i saw that

& again lmao

(I know you were joking too slim, just bantering while I decide what takeaway & wine to savour after a long days work & another tomorrow, sunday evening job starts at 10PM)

& again lmao

(I know you were joking too slim, just bantering while I decide what takeaway & wine to savour after a long days work & another tomorrow, sunday evening job starts at 10PM)

oh comon man that wasn't a she said moment, !!!???? lol

any way in fear of hijacking this thread and galticly going off topic......

who cares any way, if you aint tried papa jhons and dont mind pizza there really nice, not fan of the stuffed crust but 10 times better then dominos. only had papa twice so might differ from store to store.

if you like red try some rose merlot by blosom hill. wife seems to like the light red wine flavor with forest fruit style flavors. my self cant stand wine!

Reactions: NHN
Urrgghhhh dude, ur poisoning yourself or the missus with that toilet drink (maybe that's your intention :) ) blossom hill is one of the worst wines on a shelf.

You know of Alcopops right, lol

So I settled on a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, Altitudes, stunning wine for the price tbh.

TBH I'm no connoisseur, but that isn't wine fella, that's **** & the mere fact you said "cant be that bad" means you haven't drunk it & there must be a reason for this lmao.

Right back to the grindstone (lifts glass to mouth & sips, ahhh bisto)

You know of Alcopops right, lol

So I settled on a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, Altitudes, stunning wine for the price tbh.

TBH I'm no connoisseur, but that isn't wine fella, that's **** & the mere fact you said "cant be that bad" means you haven't drunk it & there must be a reason for this lmao.

Right back to the grindstone (lifts glass to mouth & sips, ahhh bisto)
I dont drink wine because i dont like the taste of it. Be it white or red or even champagne. That and it gives me heart burn so i dont touch it. And before you say because its cheap my dad has expensive stuff apparently its decent but i still dont like it !!