S3 Intercooler questions

JPK

Reaction score
Im about to go Stage 2+. Doubt I will go past that. Have done a bit of research and the S3 Intercooler seems like the best bang for buck. Currently getting heat soak on longer trips and hotter days. Would be interested in any other thoughts or to hear from anyone who has this setup?

1. Is this intercooler below a straight bolt on for a 2005 A3 2.0T DSG? 1K0 145 803 P. There is a few part number variations,
not sure what the differences are..

KGrHqVrMFB6ThI1BQwN7 ijg60 58

2. Some people cut their existing hoses to fit, others buy the S3 hoses ( GENUINE Audi S3 Intercooler Hoses - 2.0 TFSI - 1K0 145 834 AA / 1K0 145 832 S | eBay ).
Ive also seen somewhere that the Forge ones here fit? Is any modification to the Forge hoses needed? Forge Motorsport Turbo Hose Kit For 2.0 FSiT - GNJ Motorsport

If you don't plan on going beyond 300bhp,then you'll be fine with the S3 intercooler,and it will cope with more in any case,but make sure you get a genuine part,as some of the copies(and that applies to bigger intercoolers as well) are not all that they seem.

I have what you are looking for.... complete with hoses from my 2012 S3 car.... pm for details...:)

Anyone know if the forge hoses work?

mjr901. Cheers for that. I need to do a bit more research on it though as im reading conflicting reports on the facelift S3 intercooler with plastic tanks. Some say its the same cooler as the one in my original post but with plastic tanks, others are saying its the same as the MK6 GTI and with a thinner core.

I'll post some pictures of the ends of the forge hoses when i get home in a bit.

They have a steeper ridge for a better connection, diameter wise think they're the similar, can't fully remember off the top of my head.

As for the physical bends etc, give forge a bell, really nice people. Ask for Jamie. they'll probably have some, and if not, they make you some!

Anyone know if the forge hoses work?mjr901. Cheers for that. I need to do a bit more research on it though as im reading conflicting reports on the facelift S3 intercooler with plastic tanks. Some say its the same cooler as the one in my original post but with plastic tanks, others are saying its the same as the MK6 GTI and with a thinner core.
If it has plastic end tanks,they're OK as long they aren't subjected to excess boost,and for what you have in mind,as compared to what the S3 runs as standard,I would think you're going to be fine.

Will be absolutely fine, I was running 315bhp with it no problems! Bet most of the post 09 plate plastic ended tank people at stage 2 or more are running considerably more than that.

If your worried about boost pipes blowing off, then buy the forge pipes. simples.

Will be absolutely fine, I was running 315bhp with it no problems! Bet most of the post 09 plate plastic ended tank people at stage 2 or more are running considerably more than that. If your worried about boost pipes blowing off, then buy the forge pipes. simples.
I think the days of the old Renault 5 Turbo end tanks are long gone.....as you say,most people with mapped facelift cars are running well in excess of the stock boost without problems.

I think the days of the old Renault 5 Turbo end tanks are long gone.....as you say,most people with mapped facelift cars are running well in excess of the stock boost without problems.
and i can backup that!!

Photos that Forge took.

Slightly difficult to see, the steep side on the outer knub is much a much straighter cut (actually the other side of the knub), and the internal flow is less restrictive. Less ridges.

P1100232_zpsf4f885fa.jpg

P1100231_zps46017ab3.jpg

hoses that came from mine.... ignore the longer thin one.

look the same to me, but remember they're not strictly necessary. More of a peace of mind thing.

pipes_zps0e10a75d.jpg

Im about to go Stage 2+. Doubt I will go past that. Have done a bit of research and the S3 Intercooler seems like the best bang for buck. Currently getting heat soak on longer trips and hotter days. Would be interested in any other thoughts or to hear from anyone who has this setup?

1. Is this intercooler below a straight bolt on for a 2005 A3 2.0T DSG? 1K0 145 803 P. There is a few part number variations,
not sure what the differences are..

View attachment 10793

2. Some people cut their existing hoses to fit, others buy the S3 hoses ( GENUINE Audi S3 Intercooler Hoses - 2.0 TFSI - 1K0 145 834 AA / 1K0 145 832 S | eBay ).
Ive also seen somewhere that the Forge ones here fit? Is any modification to the Forge hoses needed? Forge Motorsport Turbo Hose Kit For 2.0 FSiT - GNJ Motorsport
Hi do u know if the intercooler from a s1 would be ok for the s3

The S1 has less power doesn't it and is fitted to a smaller car?
I'd be surprised if it offered any benefits.

My son has been looking out for an intercooler to fit to his TT. Told me that he has read an intercooler from a Golf7R would fit but I am not convinced as Wagner make a TFSI version and an MQB version
Any thoughts?

Reactions: S.
My son has been looking out for an intercooler to fit to his TT. Told me that he has read an intercooler from a Golf7R would fit but I am not convinced as Wagner make a TFSI version and an MQB version
Any thoughts?
As far as i know and have been told they are different (Size, mounts). Plus the 8p ic has mounts for radiators if i remember correctly.

If it has plastic end tanks,they're OK as long they aren't subjected to excess boost,and for what you have in mind,as compared to what the S3 runs as standard,I would think you're going to be fine.

That's what I thought until I swapped the plastic end tank version for the all-alloy OEM S3 version - it felt like I'd had another remap! They all leak at higher boost, and you will be running very similar boost levels to an S3 at stage2+ (power levels make no difference for intercooler leaks).

If I was you I'd spend a little bit more and go for the all-alloy version and future-proof yourself.