Volks AutosSky Insurance
    JPK
    1st Gear

Status

S3 Intercooler questions

Im about to go Stage 2+. Doubt I will go past that. Have done a bit of research and the S3 Intercooler seems like the best bang for buck. Currently getting heat soak on longer trips and hotter days. Would be interested in any other thoughts or to hear from anyone who has this setup?

1. Is this intercooler below a straight bolt on for a 2005 A3 2.0T DSG? 1K0 145 803 P. There is a few part number variations,
    not sure what the differences are..

$(KGrHqV,!rMFB6Th!!I1BQwN7-ij)g~~60_58.JPG

2. Some people cut their existing hoses to fit, others buy the S3 hoses ( GENUINE Audi S3 Intercooler Hoses - 2.0 TFSI - 1K0 145 834 AA / 1K0 145 832 S | eBay ).
    Ive also seen somewhere that the Forge ones here fit? Is any modification to the Forge hoses needed? Forge Motorsport Turbo Hose Kit For 2.0 FSiT - GNJ Motorsport

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    If you don't plan on going beyond 300bhp,then you'll be fine with the S3 intercooler,and it will cope with more in any case,but make sure you get a genuine part,as some of the copies(and that applies to bigger intercoolers as well) are not all that they seem.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    I have what you are looking for.... complete with hoses from my 2012 S3 car.... pm for details...
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Anyone know if the forge hoses work?

mjr901. Cheers for that. I need to do a bit more research on it though as im reading conflicting reports on the facelift S3 intercooler with plastic tanks. Some say its the same cooler as the one in my original post but with plastic tanks, others are saying its the same as the MK6 GTI and with a thinner core.
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

Status
    I'll post some pictures of the ends of the forge hoses when i get home in a bit.

They have a steeper ridge for a better connection, diameter wise think they're the similar, can't fully remember off the top of my head.

As for the physical bends etc, give forge a bell, really nice people. Ask for Jamie. they'll probably have some, and if not, they make you some!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    Anyone know if the forge hoses work?mjr901. Cheers for that. I need to do a bit more research on it though as im reading conflicting reports on the facelift S3 intercooler with plastic tanks. Some say its the same cooler as the one in my original post but with plastic tanks, others are saying its the same as the MK6 GTI and with a thinner core.
    If it has plastic end tanks,they're OK as long they aren't subjected to excess boost,and for what you have in mind,as compared to what the S3 runs as standard,I would think you're going to be fine.

Status
    Will be absolutely fine, I was running 315bhp with it no problems! Bet most of the post 09 plate plastic ended tank people at stage 2 or more are running considerably more than that.

If your worried about boost pipes blowing off, then buy the forge pipes. simples.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Will be absolutely fine, I was running 315bhp with it no problems! Bet most of the post 09 plate plastic ended tank people at stage 2 or more are running considerably more than that. If your worried about boost pipes blowing off, then buy the forge pipes. simples.
    I think the days of the old Renault 5 Turbo end tanks are long gone.....as you say,most people with mapped facelift cars are running well in excess of the stock boost without problems.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I think the days of the old Renault 5 Turbo end tanks are long gone.....as you say,most people with mapped facelift cars are running well in excess of the stock boost without problems.
    and i can backup that!!
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Status
    Photos that Forge took.

Slightly difficult to see, the steep side on the outer knub is much a much straighter cut (actually the other side of the knub), and the internal flow is less restrictive. Less ridges.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    To clarify then, these hoses:Forge Motorsport Turbo Hose Kit For 2.0 FSiT - GNJ Motorsport
    ..are effectively used instead of the factory S3 hoses?
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

Status
    hoses that came from mine.... ignore the longer thin one.

look the same to me, but remember they're not strictly necessary. More of a peace of mind thing.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    I spoke to Forge and this is what I need apparantly. No need to cut the connectors then.

Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    I spoke to Forge and this is what I need apparantly. No need to cut the connectors then. Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication
    Forge not only make excellent stuff,but if you have any problems with it,a phone call will sort everything out.