Help!!!Car wont start

l1ons81

Reaction score
Hi

Hope sum1 can help, Last drove my car on friday, havent touched it all weekend. went to drive it today and it just wont start, Battery is full. However when i have looked at vagcom. The following errors have appeared

17075 - Fan 1 control circuit: short to ground

19558- motor for intake manifold flap (V157): no signal

I checked fuse f8, this was blown, i have replaced the fuse. tried to start and it wouldnt,check the fuse and it was blown again.
It wont start and im stuck on what to do..

Help Please

Which year/engine?

Check the intake manifold flap has not seized as they sometimes the older ones have plastic teeth that break internally.

I would disconnect the fan unit, replace fuse, turn ignition on, clear all faults, then see if the intake flap is showing a fault or fuse has blow again.

How do u disconnect the fan unit mate?is that the plug nxt to intet manifold?

Cheers mate

2004 2.0tdi mate,how do i check if the manifold flap has seized

I believe that the fuse that supplies the engine fan is the same one that supplies the intake manifold flap. If the intake manifold flap is closed, the engine should not start (it cut's off the air from the manifold). It might be useful to first of all disconnect the fan, replace the fuse and see if it starts. If the fuse blows again, then the fault lies with the manifold flap motor. If it starts, then the fan needs attention/replacement. Good luck.

Yeah big connector behind the fan unit, cant miss it tbh.

You'll need to remove the imf & open it up to check what its like inside, but try removing the flap & moving the flap by hand 1st, if it doesnt move then its seized.

Where do i find the IMF,can i move the flap without taking the part off?

U got any pics for the fan plug?not very mechanical

Open bonnet, look directly down betwee front of engine & the fan unit & you will see the 2 fans & iirc slightly on the left at bottom of the fans there's a chunky connector there to unplug.

The flap is fitted to the front of the engine, with the intake big fat pipe coming up towards it from bottom.

TBH if you're not that minded, then maybe ask someone else to do it as you could cause more issues, no offense.

Ok thanks for the advice, i know where the flap is now.. Do i have to remove the whole part to see if its seized or is there a way i can check while its still on the car?

If you can get a finger up inside to move the flap, then yeah try that.

Have you actually tested anything yet?

Nah, too dark.. Just wondered if thats the one i need if its the manifold flap

Too dark :p, tbh with a torch during dark its allot easier to see where the bits are, as daylight can distort things in engine bay :)

It looks like that, but you have to check part number 1st, but condemn a system before ordering of course.

Ok mate.. thanks for the advice and i will keep you updated.

Ha ha, that's a beauty answer mate !!!!! lol

I cant believe I didnt see the humour in my reply until now, thats kinda sad like lmao, re-reading it actually is funny as hell, maybe its because there's a drought on lmao.

If you can get a finger up inside to move the flap, then yeah try that.

Omg, Nigel, that was a priceless reply, i nearly spilt my tea. Lmao. :) x

lmao just reading it again, priceless lmao

Right boys, tested it with the fan off and still didnt start, so i took the manifold flap off, and the value inside is so hard too move, could this be the reason its blowing the fuse?
I'm just about to order new part.. do you all believe this is the reason the car wont start?