Damn you big hands, sidelight sadness

Ultra Violent

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
After reading some posts on site about changing side lights on my A3 8P S Line, I thought I'd give it a try as I have some LEDs
that would finish of the front end nicely.
Having changed the dipped and full beams yesterday, with some swearing and scraped knuckles, I thought I'd try the sidelights even though the manual says its a job for the stealers. As I said I took in some advice from previous posts about getting them out, such as pull and wiggle, grab the wire, use long nosed pliers etc which probably would have been good advice if I could have managed to get my gigantor hands in that exceedingly small hole, so again after copious amounts of swearing and more scraped knuckles I had to throw in the towel:mad:
Why make such a simple task so difficult? My last car an A4 B6 was a doddle, pop out the headlight unit and away you go, but this time its an ordeal unless you have E.T fingers.
so may have to take it to the stealers after all. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Does the bumper really have to come off?
Scott. :scared2:

Take out the main beam bulb giving you extra length on the sidelight wires and pull on the wires. Should easily pop out

As above you have to remove main beam bulb and conecter out of the way then in with long nose pliers grip side light fitting and wiggle then lever against side of the opening to prise out worked very well for me mate also make sure they work before refiting as led only work one way round and it would be poor if you have to remove again due to being wrong way round mate eh

If you're concerned about causing issues, just pop bumper of & remove headlight, you'll realise in the end it was the easiest option.

Sounds like a ***** of a job.. Having said that some cars I've owned only allowed access from a small opening in the wheel arch liner.

Thanks for the advice folks,
Think NHN's right, the bumper will have to come off, spotted some threads related to that on site, looks do-able, think that will have to be a next weekend job.
It does seem kinda strange though to make it so difficult, considering if it blew on a journey, you couldn't just pull over and fix it, also the rozzers round here will pull you for a broken/non working sidelight. Still, Ce La Vie. :busted_cop:

IT can be done in situ, but if you drop bulbs etc then you're ********, I did my D3S bulbs other day & I came to conclusion even with arch liners out atm, bumper of is allot easier lol.

Thanks again NHN. Will try again next weekend, and hopefuly post some good news. Also just ordered some S3 pedals from fleabay, will try and fit them next week as well, assuming there heres that is. Will post pics.
Scott