am i running out of fuel

braders

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok so had a stage 2 remap done by awesome GTI in manchester and got a great result and a problem.
The guy who did it said the car returned a great result and was happy with it all, except for one thing which he said might be the fuel pump being on the limit of supplying fuel.
What the car does is pulls great on full acceleration from 1st to 2nd but when its getting in 3rd at about 5000rmp starts to shudder a bit but keeps going but if i do the same acceleration from low 3rd it goes through fine no shudder, into 4th then again shudders. If i let off the pedal for a few seconds and back on it seems fine. It seems the shudder comes when accelerating for a long time.
Any surggestions before i go and get the fuel pump done and its not cheap and would like the it sorting before upgrading more.
Also a thing to add is the clutch is still standard, but would of though the clutch slipping to be less of a shudder, and the map was an APR.

Thanks

If the clutch is slipping,revs will rise and car won't go any faster and it usually occurs at peak torque or around 3500-4000 rpm.

What you're describing sounds different and they really should datalog the car for you to find out what's happening.

If the pump is at its limits and your car is running lean then you run the risk of detonation or at the least very high EGTs.

Get it back to them and have them sort it.

Reactions: MB RS3
It's easy for them to tell if the fuel pump is struggling, or indeed anything in the fuel system. Fuel pressure and lambda should be logged, and you can see from that. I wouldn't let a car go with the problem you describe. What's happening is the ECU is not happy with something, and is cutting power. VCDS logs will tell you what.

Rick

yes it is an 8p version and its certainly not the clutch slipping.
i have looked on my vag and nothing is reported as faulty.
What is high EGT's?
What fuel pressure should i be getting and what should the lamda be reading

Thanks

Feck me I just fell over, its Wesley of all people :p

I feel so lonely without you :p

Seriously. nobodys that busy lmao, you've been cheating on ASN havnt you, come on tell the truth, which forum you been perusing, vagoc lol

yes it is an 8p version and its certainly not the clutch slipping.
i have looked on my vag and nothing is reported as faulty.
What is high EGT's?
What fuel pressure should i be getting and what should the lamda be reading

Thanks

The fuel pressure and lambda reading are programmed into the map, look in block 032 for requested and actual lambda. They should be fairly close. Fuel pressure is the last block, 200 odd, can't remember exactly. Again, this has requested and actual - both should be close.

Rick

Hi Rick...you know a LOT more about this than I do,but like you,I'm surprised this car was allowed out like that,and I know that mine would never have been returned to me in that sort of state.