a3 steering issue can any rack be coded if differetn part number

ali1211

Reaction score
Hi

Can somebody please confirm if i can put a similar part num rack in my a3 and have coded to work on my car
I am unable to find a rack that matches my part num however can get various diffeeent one where the last digit is different

Please confirm will be greatly appreciated

My rack part num is 1k2423051ac i can few hold of quite a few that match just the last letter differs.

Thanks fellow audi'ers

Just to confirm steering rack n ecus do not need coding and i have just fitted a 2011
Steering rack and ecu to my 2004 audi a3.
Codes do not need to match aydi just scam u

Thats not true at all tbh, please dont make statements of this nature without knowing the facts as it just confuses others.

You do need to match rack part numbers even to a superseded one to be sure it will work properly, racks are shared across vag brands for sure so thats why its fitted yours.

There are 3 types of rack, gen 1, 2 & 3, they should all be able to fit to any 8P, with newer ones needing a correct additional loom to fit on some older & maybe even newer cars.

Also there are lhd & rhd racks.

There is some coding that may indeed need to be done for angle sensors & possibly some apparent curvature maps, which may or may not be needed for the car in question.

So no its not as clean cut as you advise, if done properly following the vag process.

Yours has obviously gone in ok, but it would probably need adapting properly tbh by vag.