needs a new steering rack!!

jondsg

Reaction score
recently took my car to awesome gti for dsg service and got them to check a knocking noise from drivers front wheel.
they said they couldn't find any issues which the links, arms bushes etc... but they found a knock from the steering wheel and said i might need a new rack!! i know these are issue with A3's.

my problem is:
iv had the car for just over a month, according to sale of goods act, you have 6 months on motor vehicles for the dealer to repair any issues....its called "reverse burden of proof" where the dealer has to proof the issue wasn't there before they sold it.... which obviously they cant....so im entitles them to fix it or give me my money back........

so do go to them? a second hand dealer in exec cars?
go to Audi for goodwill?
or buy one myself and get it fixed by awesome gti. (they quoted £780 plus labour.)

the knocking isnt affecting the drive,its just annoying and might get worse

thanks

imho...go to them? a second hand dealer in exec cars?

How have they determined its from the rack?

yes the garage i bought it sells rangerovers, c63 amgs, m3, bmws , porches etc....

they checked everything possible under the car, checked the steering which they found a knock from deep down on the rack...when the steering wheel is moved side-side when stationary.

Well racks are known to be an issue on 8P's, could of gone at anytime, but if it has a warranty then certainly challenge them.

Same issue/symptoms mine had. In fact, I noticed mine within a few weeks of buying the car too.
It was diagnosed as being the rack by ruling out all other possible causes. Turned out to be correct.

Did the dealer throw in a few month AA/RAC/etc warranty?? If so, then you can claim through them. Although they won't cover it if you say or they decide that the fault was there at purchase.

Otherwise go back to the dealer you bought it from and let (make) them sort it out. Do not let anyone else touch it until you have exhausted your argument with the dealer to carry out the repair.

The dealer I bought my car off of was very reasonable and agreed to have a new rack fitted to mine, fixing the knock.
The figure of £700-£800 for the rack (not including labour) is about right, although you can get a discount on the part if you hand in your faulty rack. I think the discount works out to about £150 or something.

Same issue/symptoms mine had. In fact, I noticed mine within a few weeks of buying the car too.
It was diagnosed as being the rack by ruling out all other possible causes. Turned out to be correct.

Did the dealer throw in a few month AA/RAC/etc warranty?? If so, then you can claim through them. Although they won't cover it if you say or they decide that the fault was there at purchase.

Otherwise go back to the dealer you bought it from and let (make) them sort it out. Do not let anyone else touch it until you have exhausted your argument with the dealer to carry out the repair.

The dealer I bought my car off of was very reasonable and agreed to have a new rack fitted to mine, fixing the knock.
The figure of £700-£800 for the rack (not including labour) is about right, although you can get a discount on the part if you hand in your faulty rack. I think the discount works out to about £150 or something.

cheers mate.
im going to call them tomo.....

anyone know what will happen if i dont get it replaced?

Just thinking out loud here but is there not any adjustment in the 8P racks, the 8L racks you were able to take up a bit of the slack when the pinion gear started to wear.

Just thinking out loud here but is there not any adjustment in the 8P racks, the 8L racks you were able to take up a bit of the slack when the pinion gear started to wear.

I wouldn't. Have a clue mate, I know there electronic racks.

Where did you buy it from by the way? A place in Yorkshire?

Ah cool, I bought my S3 from a dealer in Huddersfield, gave me a 3 month warranty and I extended it.....the DV went faulty and I got it replaced under warranty by Awesome GTI :)

Got a hiss from behind the dash so looking like brake servo has gone.....10 hours labour or so and £200 for the part...Hopefully warranty will pay or im screwed!

Ah cool, I bought my S3 from a dealer in Huddersfield, gave me a 3 month warranty and I extended it.....the DV went faulty and I got it replaced under warranty by Awesome GTI :)

Got a hiss from behind the dash so looking like brake servo has gone.....10 hours labour or so and £200 for the part...Hopefully warranty will pay or im screwed!

ahh no.....bad times.
im looking to get a warranty direct policy just in case. u got one?

I bought the car with a free 3 month platinum warranty with only £35 labour covered... So I upgraded it to £75 labour and for the remaining 9 months to make it a year....

It is with warranty wise and the dealer cost was £146... Then I paid £270 extra for another 9 months with extra labour rates... Made a claim for dv valve and has already paid off to be honest as fitted a forge and had my charcoal canister emptied :)

I would get a quote from warranty wise.. Maybe call them?

Well the ends can be of course adjusted in length, but internally not allot can be done tbh, think they've started going back to hydraulic racks now tbh, maybe cause the 8P has had a bad record, who knows.