Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47

    needs a new steering rack!!

    recently took my car to awesome gti for dsg service and got them to check a knocking noise from drivers front wheel.
    they said they couldn't find any issues which the links, arms bushes etc... but they found a knock from the steering wheel and said i might need a new rack!! i know these are issue with A3's.

    my problem is:
    iv had the car for just over a month, according to sale of goods act, you have 6 months on motor vehicles for the dealer to repair any issues....its called "reverse burden of proof" where the dealer has to proof the issue wasn't there before they sold it.... which obviously they cant....so im entitles them to fix it or give me my money back........

    so do go to them? a second hand dealer in exec cars?
    go to Audi for goodwill?
    or buy one myself and get it fixed by awesome gti. (they quoted £780 plus labour.)

    the knocking isnt affecting the drive,its just annoying and might get worse

    thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,160
    imho...go to them? a second hand dealer in exec cars?

  4. #3
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,762
    How have they determined its from the rack?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    yes the garage i bought it sells rangerovers, c63 amgs, m3, bmws , porches etc....

    they checked everything possible under the car, checked the steering which they found a knock from deep down on the rack...when the steering wheel is moved side-side when stationary.

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,762
    Well racks are known to be an issue on 8P's, could of gone at anytime, but if it has a warranty then certainly challenge them.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,148
    Same issue/symptoms mine had. In fact, I noticed mine within a few weeks of buying the car too.
    It was diagnosed as being the rack by ruling out all other possible causes. Turned out to be correct.

    Did the dealer throw in a few month AA/RAC/etc warranty?? If so, then you can claim through them. Although they won't cover it if you say or they decide that the fault was there at purchase.

    Otherwise go back to the dealer you bought it from and let (make) them sort it out. Do not let anyone else touch it until you have exhausted your argument with the dealer to carry out the repair.

    The dealer I bought my car off of was very reasonable and agreed to have a new rack fitted to mine, fixing the knock.
    The figure of £700-£800 for the rack (not including labour) is about right, although you can get a discount on the part if you hand in your faulty rack. I think the discount works out to about £150 or something.

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Same issue/symptoms mine had. In fact, I noticed mine within a few weeks of buying the car too.
    It was diagnosed as being the rack by ruling out all other possible causes. Turned out to be correct.

    Did the dealer throw in a few month AA/RAC/etc warranty?? If so, then you can claim through them. Although they won't cover it if you say or they decide that the fault was there at purchase.

    Otherwise go back to the dealer you bought it from and let (make) them sort it out. Do not let anyone else touch it until you have exhausted your argument with the dealer to carry out the repair.

    The dealer I bought my car off of was very reasonable and agreed to have a new rack fitted to mine, fixing the knock.
    The figure of £700-£800 for the rack (not including labour) is about right, although you can get a discount on the part if you hand in your faulty rack. I think the discount works out to about £150 or something.
    cheers mate.
    im going to call them tomo.....

    anyone know what will happen if i dont get it replaced?

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, North East
    Posts
    200
    Just thinking out loud here but is there not any adjustment in the 8P racks, the 8L racks you were able to take up a bit of the slack when the pinion gear started to wear.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Just thinking out loud here but is there not any adjustment in the 8P racks, the 8L racks you were able to take up a bit of the slack when the pinion gear started to wear.

    I wouldn't. Have a clue mate, I know there electronic racks.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159
    Where did you buy it from by the way? A place in Yorkshire?

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    No mate merseyide.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159
    Ah cool, I bought my S3 from a dealer in Huddersfield, gave me a 3 month warranty and I extended it.....the DV went faulty and I got it replaced under warranty by Awesome GTI

    Got a hiss from behind the dash so looking like brake servo has gone.....10 hours labour or so and £200 for the part...Hopefully warranty will pay or im screwed!

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalh0151 View Post
    Ah cool, I bought my S3 from a dealer in Huddersfield, gave me a 3 month warranty and I extended it.....the DV went faulty and I got it replaced under warranty by Awesome GTI

    Got a hiss from behind the dash so looking like brake servo has gone.....10 hours labour or so and £200 for the part...Hopefully warranty will pay or im screwed!

    ahh no.....bad times.
    im looking to get a warranty direct policy just in case. u got one?

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159
    I bought the car with a free 3 month platinum warranty with only £35 labour covered... So I upgraded it to £75 labour and for the remaining 9 months to make it a year....

    It is with warranty wise and the dealer cost was £146... Then I paid £270 extra for another 9 months with extra labour rates... Made a claim for dv valve and has already paid off to be honest as fitted a forge and had my charcoal canister emptied

    I would get a quote from warranty wise.. Maybe call them?

  16. #15
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Just thinking out loud here but is there not any adjustment in the 8P racks, the 8L racks you were able to take up a bit of the slack when the pinion gear started to wear.
    Well the ends can be of course adjusted in length, but internally not allot can be done tbh, think they've started going back to hydraulic racks now tbh, maybe cause the 8P has had a bad record, who knows.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Time for a new steering rack?
    By Dan TheMan Welburn in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16th November 2012, 19:31
  2. Help! Steering rack needed!
    By QuottroA4 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th March 2010, 01:06
  3. I need a new steering wheel for my 2001 S3...need advise please!
    By Dennis Moeller in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th December 2008, 16:01
  4. Creaky steering - PtII, after a new steering rack
    By OutLore in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 23rd February 2006, 18:58
  5. Back from dealership with new steering rack
    By OutLore in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th November 2005, 23:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO