New head unit, replacing 2005 concert.

squarebush80

Reaction score
My a3 2005 concert is getting replaced for an up to date stereo, can anyone tell me if its just a case of getting an adapter of some sort for the back of the unit and plugging it in or will it be a case of swapping some wires around.

Yeah, exactly, would help us if you gave us the full story as in what radio, audi or aftermarket etc.

Sorry guys, looking to go for either a Pioneer or Kenwood CD player with bluetooth capability

I have a Pioneer 2400bt in my Lexus and its superb but not sure if I am going to fit to my S3. Its a brilliant unit, I am probably going to sell it soon though!

You will have standard ISO connectors for the power and front speakers - depending on the stereo, this bit should be "plug and play", however since the Factory stereo uses canbus for ignition on/off, you'll likely have to switch it on and off yourself unless you use a canbus adapter - likewise if you want speed controlled volume etc.

Worse still, but still doable is the rear speakers including the weedy factory sub are fed by a line level output from the factory unit to an amp in the factory sub, so you'll need to connect the line-out from the new head to these using an adaptor to the mini-ISO connector (or do without rear speakers).

It can be done (ask me how I know), but it's not a five minute job.

Im guessing youve done this job before and it was a nightmare? And where is the sub located in the car? i had no idea there was one in the car. I take it, the red plug is for the built-in handsfree and the small yellow plug on the right is for the display on the dash (and both of these wont work with the new stereo) and the other 3 plugs on the left are for, front and rear speakers and the sub?

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 120
Not a nightmare, but it did take a bit of mucking around to get it right. The sub is behind the plastic trim panel at the back - I think it's nearside from memory. I don't have factory hands-free so I don't have that red plug, but I think that's right.

The other two similar sized ones are standard ISO one for power and one for front speakers - the (third) longer one is to the amp - as laid out the label on the top of the head unit - you can get these all working, you need some adapters, but you may decide not to bother. I was lucky as my replacement head unit had one of these long mini-iso connectors already - plug and play (nearly) I had to splice in my DAB box, but that's another stroy.

The next bit I am not certain on as I have gone DAB so ran a new aerial, but I think the yellow one is a Fakra aerial - I seem to recall that the aerial is a diversity system with two connections - the ordinary one we all know and love and that Fakra one too. You are going to need an adapter for the aerial I believe as IIRC the rear screen aerial module takes power from the OEM head unit. I might be wrong about the yellow plug though, it may be for the DIS.

Reactions: mister.c.
Cheers for that. The guy in the shop pointed out the wires for the rear speakers and said just to connect them onto an RC, and the rest is just plugs, also said the system is semi amplified. The new unit wont be in for a couple of weeks, will let you know how i get on. Cheers again. Paul