Quattro question

Dandle

Reaction score
I've just been wondering about the A3 Sportback Quattro that is fitted with a Haldex diff(according to the website). When driving normally do any of you guys know if this is a 50/50 bias system or is it 90/10 like the 4 motion golfs? With the 90% being the front wheels.

Cheers for any answers.

[ QUOTE ]
I've just been wondering about the A3 Sportback Quattro that is fitted with a Haldex diff(according to the website). When driving normally do any of you guys know if this is a 50/50 bias system or is it 90/10 like the 4 motion golfs? With the 90% being the front wheels.

Cheers for any answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% front untill slip detected and then a variable % of this goes to rear.

me too - did'nt the old S3 used to be permanent? sure that was haldex too...

Nope, S3 was the same. Only kicks into 4wd mode when the front wheels lose traction.

Does that mean 'Launch Control' engages 4wd before moving off? I've never had any loss in traction from a standing start, and you have ESP off for a 'launch'.

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean 'Launch Control' engages 4wd before moving off? I've never had any loss in traction from a standing start, and you have ESP off for a 'launch'.

[/ QUOTE ]

A3 (8P) has got Haldex 2, which is faster acting than Haldex unit in old A3 and TT, MKIV Golf etc. Dont think LC actually engages Haldex unit. You wont notice slip, as it transfers to rears almost instantly.

There is a performance haldex controller made in the states that actually gives a 50/50 split in normal conditions, going to full rear if traction lost at front. I think AMD or similar sell it in UK.

I've got round the understeer by making sure all my braking is before the corner, and the power keeping the back end out... but is that a result of 250bhp, even though there's a V6 lump at the front?

is there any benefit for normal street driving? I imagine there's a benefit on the track.

[ QUOTE ]
is there any benefit for normal street driving? I imagine there's a benefit on the track.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of Quattro or of the different types of 4wd?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought the benefits would be more noticable on the road TBH.

[ QUOTE ]
heldex performance upgrade is worthwhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.awesome-gti.co.uk do the upgrade if you wish to take a look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Richy, that's the guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Has there been any feedback of excessive wear on the Haldex clutches through use of this performance controller though ?.

Sorry, quattro is awesome on road and much safer. If I was to get the better haldex controller would this be a benefit. Not bothered about racing people from lights.

well, alledged benefits are more level, controlled accelleration, more predictive load distribution,

The controller doesn't fix it at 50/50 though, it just tries harder at predicting where the power is needed, and wont harshly move the power to the rears mid-corner.

It will still drop to FWD when cruising too.

I think Audi have always described quattro as permanent because it kicks in automatically (can't switch it yourself as per Land Rovers or whatever).

Indeed, although Audi have yet to be persuaded to adopt the 'correct' terminology.

Not sure whether it applies to all quatto fitted Audis but you used to be able to disengage the system by putting the handbrake on the first notch, to have it stuck on FWD. Quite why you would want to do that is beyond me tho.