AH FabricationsBadger5
    Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook

Fuel tank full or not

A while ago I posted up a problem I had with getting the fuel tank full. I was finding I could get at least another tenner in from the click. Now had a word with one of my mates in the Audi garage and he says under no circumstance are you to fill past the 1st click. The reason being this......there is a tap off pipe at the top of the tank that has a charcoal filter in it. Now when you decide to fill up past the 1st click you have a massive chance of flooding this other pipe and saturating the charcoal filter which will after time put on the EML and will not be covered under the warranty.

Any one else heard of this or is it another Audi myth.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Whilst the take off will be at the top of the tank the charcoal canister is in the engine bay so I very much doubt you'll flood it. I've had no problem brimming mine with the first click but I only use shell garages with newer pumps, some of the old ones were crap far too sensitive for the cut off.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    A while ago I posted up a problem I had with getting the fuel tank full. I was finding I could get at least another tenner in from the click. Now had a word with one of my mates in the Audi garage and he says under no circumstance are you to fill past the 1st click. The reason being this......there is a tap off pipe at the top of the tank that has a charcoal filter in it. Now when you decide to fill up past the 1st click you have a massive chance of flooding this other pipe and saturating the charcoal filter which will after time put on the EML and will not be covered under the warranty.

Any one else heard of this or is it another Audi myth.
    Indeed, they are connected via a small breather type pipe, the mrs 2001 Clio is also.

But, I'm not so sure you'd go to the extent of flooding this system, but technically, and physically, they are connected, but the pipes go up, down, ere, there and everywhere to reach the engine bay, and by the time you've switched the car on, and 23mpg is quickly achieved, youll be back down to half a tank

I say keep brimmin'
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Never had this issue in numerous years mate & I have often gone past 1st click unfortunately

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    I normally brim it - no issues.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Yeah I try to brim it all the time and have done since Ive been buying S3's so I think the way forward is to continue to brim.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

2nd Gear

Status
    Sounds like nonsense, on the first click I can easily get another 4 to 7 litres in, so it's well off full at that point. I actually find filling the A3 a right pain, never spent so much time putting fuel in a car than this one!

Short Back

Status
    I like to see 50 miles on the tacho before the needle moves, so I fill the neck! Brimmed it from the first tankful and no issues so far... *touches wooden head*

but technically, and physically, they are connected, but the pipes go up, down, ere, there and everywhere to reach the engine bay
    So you're saying combustible vapour from the tank is vented into the charcoal filter in a hot, & potentially spark infested, engine bay? ...is this safe?
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    I like to see 50 miles on the tacho before the needle moves, so I fill the neck! Brimmed it from the first tankful and no issues so far... *touches wooden head*

So you're saying combustible vapour from the tank is vented into the charcoal filter in a hot, & potentially spark infested, engine bay? ...is this safe?
    If the system is the same as the mrs's Clio, which I believe it is under emission regs and all that crap, then yes the vapour is put through this system and "neutralised" if you like, then a pipe comes out of the top of the cannister and straight into the rocker cover.

There are ways of blocking this, and its a common thing to do on the clio scene, its all run by a vacuum solenoid type thing. When your car runs too rich, you'll here this device clicking like mad in the engine bay after switch off.

but i'd leave it all well alone, and continue to brim it.

I find first click, i get 12 miles before the needle moves, CRAZY.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

2nd Gear

Status
    At first click, my needle shows about 9/10ths full, they are super sensitive when filling up these cars.

Short Back

Status
    Thanks for clarifying! I'll let it be ...can't really see Audi using a system that would be potentially explosive, but I just needed reassurance! after all, they screwed up the diesel fuel rail mounts to the point of it becoming fire hazard recall.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH I have found the white dis cluster clusters fuel level seems to move fairly slowly from the top in comparison to the red dis ones, but bottom half drops like a lead weight lol.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK