Glow plugs

dex140

Reaction score
Hi over the colder weather my tdi has been rough on starting.. I have read for fault codes but no codes associated with glowpugs etc. My question do the glowpugs perish before they fail resulting in rough starting?

I always used to remove the plug and test it on a 12v battery, it should quickly glow red hot.

Haven't heard of perishing, in fact in my experience it's quite rare for Glow plugs to need replaced. Could it need serviced, maybe fuel filter change?

Haven't heard of perishing, in fact in my experience it's quite rare for Glow plugs to need replaced. Could it need serviced, maybe fuel filter change?

Its serviced regulary by myself so sadly it wont be this i dont think

Glow plugs do deteriorate over time and fail just like any heating element. VCDS should show if any of them are beyond use though.

I always used to remove the plug and test it on a 12v battery, it should quickly glow red hot.

Be careful with that: some glow plugs are pulsed on, and may have a lower than 12v operating voltage - so they might get fried if hooked up to a battery directly for more than a second or so.

Regarding the OP, if the glow plug fails with a short, it will come up as an error code in VAGCOM. On my 140 TDI, all were shot. Replaced them all, and the starting got better, however the issue I had with cold starting was a lazy starter that resultet in slow turnover and therefore the ECU hesitated to inject fuel. Replaced the starter and the engine turned over 4x faster, and starts right away no matter what temp. See my post: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...i-140-slow-crank-start-cold-video-inside.html

Yeah the newer starters are better, I fitted a new one to each of our 8P's & the startup speed was dramatic, no word of a lie.

Yeah the newer starters are better, I fitted a new one to each of our 8P's & the startup speed was dramatic, no word of a lie.

Bit of bump but trawling through old posts here as mine has a cold start issue. Plan is to replace start then glow plugs (if required) and clean the injectors also.
Out of interest when you say the newer starters are these from third party companies or did you go direct to Audi, do you also mind if I ask the cost? I'm thinking about the £250-£300 brand new?

I recently had a quote for a new starter motor from Stoke Audi for £250 and there is a £72 surcharge - you get that back.