Anyone else had this problem before?

Radford212

Reaction score
Drove to Heathrow and back this morning, driving there had no problems whatsoever, how ever on the way back just after rejoining the m4 my car lost all acceleration and power. It was as if something had cut out. I was able to drive home but couldn't pull away, from 4th gear onwards it wouldn't rev above 2800rpm, when I got home I switched off the ignition (waited until I got home as I was worried I wouldn't make it back otherwise) and switched it back on I had all power and was able to accelerate as normal. Slightly worried this may happen again.

Any suggestions on what it may be?

thanks

Sounds like limp mode to me, engine type & size would help us.

Well could very well be a turbo stuck vanes issue, but, it needs scanning to check why it limped.

If its this, then I have a completely hand cleaned down to original metal state, bkd turbo if interested.

Thankfully if it is the turbo it's covered on my extend warranty so I shall see what they say. As for the turbo you have almost next to no clue as to what bkd means (I'm useless at this sort of thing) I bought my car hoping it would be a reliable, comfortable drive. If happens again I may contemplate selling, don't want the hassle (mainly because I wouldn't know what I'm doing)

BKD as far as i'm aware doesn't stand for anything, its just an engine code.

As NHN said, it does sound like turbo related, happened to my dads 170 TDI sportback but he was unfortunate to need a new turbo even after taking it out to clean the vanes.

Limp mode kicked in for me on an hour after buying the car. Turned out that the MAF and air flow sensor needed cleaning.

Do you have any warning lights pop up? My dash lit up like a Christmas tree!

Nope, no warning lights at all, like I said it sorted itself out after turning it off and on, kind of confused as to why? I'll get it looked at soon and see what happens. By the way, what is 'limp mode?'

Its an engine magagement feature that wont let the car rev above a certain limit & other restrictioins if the computer detects a serious / potentially serious fault.
Its designed to allow you to get the car home without causing further damage. Although when my limp mode kicked in at motorway speed in the fast lane it caused a far more dangerous problem of getting to the hard shoulder with very little power.